Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stand for my RF45

Hi,

I am going to attempt to weld a stand for my RF45. It's about 800 lbs.
    What do you think I should use ? I was thinking box tube or round pipe ?
    Anybody know what size I should use ? I want it to be sturdy, but I
    would like to save a few bucks so I don't want to completely over
    engineer it.

Thanks,
    Kevin

i would use 2x2 square tubing and have a .125 wall thickness. that maybe a little over kill but would be safe. i bought the factory stand for my 2 rf45s and they work just fine.

Comment

Yes, I bought the stand also from HF. I just don't like the height. It is 28" tall, and does not feel sturdy enough for me. Also, I want the height to be around 33" tall, that puts the handles right at a good spot for me.

I just got a quote on 20' of 2" box tube with 1/8" wall for $30.60.

Comment

What's an RF45?
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

A Rong-Fu 45. A common import mill/drill.

kben77: Yes, get the height right, for you. Your back will appreciate it.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

4" square tubing legs, 1/4" plate top. Way beyond what was required. It's solid and may as well be a granite block sitting under my Industrial Hobbies mill. I would think 2" square tubing would be just as wonderful and a little less crazy.

Definitely more solid than the factory stand which I also have. Was it worth it? No idea, but I like my stand.

Cheers,

BW
            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

nice table Bob just whet the Doctor orderedAlistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                nice table Bob just whet the Doctor orderedAlistair
                My one regret is its not green. But you can't be perfect!

Cheers,

BW

Comment

I don't know Bob it's not too late : besides many of my machines despite rumours are blue.Alistair
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Actually, Bob your stand is the reason I decided to weld one. I got the HF stand and it was only 28" high and pretty shaky. I had seen yours before while I was surfing the net and decided I wanted to weld one up.

So first I had to get a Welder. Then I had to run the electric. No, small task
                    I used a 100' of #6 wire. Of course the panel had to be on the opposite side of my basement the farthest point it could be from where I wanted the outlet in the garage. I managed to get that all wired up and to code. Now, I just need to puchase the tubing and practice my welding

Comment

Originally posted by kben77
                      Actually, Bob your stand is the reason I decided to weld one. I got the HF stand and it was only 28" high and pretty shaky. I had seen yours before while I was surfing the net and decided I wanted to weld one up.

So first I had to get a Welder. Then I had to run the electric. No, small task
                      I used a 100' of #6 wire. Of course the panel had to be on the opposite side of my basement the farthest point it could be from where I wanted the outlet in the garage. I managed to get that all wired up and to code. Now, I just need to puchase the tubing and practice my welding

So you used a relatively inexpensive table as an excuse to buy a much more expensive tool?

Ingenious! I shall try that one out on the missus next time I'm after something.

Seriously though, I welder is a hugely useful thing to have around. You won't be sorry!

Best,

BW

PS Alistair, yeah, you have nice machines of all descriptions!

Comment

With an 800 lb mill I'd use 1/4" wall 2"x2" instead of 1/8". No scientific reasoning to support that hypothesis .... LOL! .... just intuitive on my part. That'll double the cost of your stick tho.

SP

Comment

I got the HF stand and it was only 28" high and pretty shaky
                          I'm curious, which HF stand do you have?
                          "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../MillStand.jpg

Here's mine. 2 X 2 X 3/16 angle, 3/16" top. Vibrates some when cutting hard. So what? Mill and workpiece are moving together. It's a work in process. Most shelves built ahead of time hold mostly air so am installing shelves as needed until it gets full and then gusset and maybe enclose. Looking like a door on the front and left side. Design-wise, the top only has to transfer the mill weight and boltdown a couple of inches over to the top of the legs. Hard to imagine anything too light to do that. The band connecting the top of the legs together is nothing more than an assembly aid. Same with the band around the bottom. Legs should be anchored to the floor. After that, what does the bottom band do besides make a footrest and a place that's hard to sweep? If I wanted weight to reduce vibration, I'd put a great big chunk in the hollow under the mill base where it would do the most good. Viva la difference and have fun.

Comment

I have the HF stand for mine and it is rock solid. I set it on 4 eight inch cement blocks and it's pretty comfortable.

I would suggest if you don't make your table much wider than the base that you spley the legs out a bit to offer more stability to it. Over the length of the legs 5" at the floor should offer you considerable stability. Also, if you are a neophyte welder the splayed angles and proper design will offer a modicum of safety to the welds you make Grasshopper! A chop saw would work fine for cutting the angles.......... You do have a chop saw don't you?

(besides that, a chop saw is extremely handy and should be included with every welder!)
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X