Quality hacksaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality hacksaw

My 40 year old hack saw frame finally died, any recomendations on a new qaulity one?
    Non, je ne regrette rien.

brockley1

Get a Lennox with the tensioner below the handle. Nothing else comes close when it comes to blade tension
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

The best i have used is sandvik, unbelievable tension.

Steve Larner

Comment

You have a shiop and metalworking skills. Find a saw you like, measure it up and make some sketches, then build your own. I did 'way back when.

I like the ones with the single lever tensioning and the place to store a few blades. They didn't have those features back when and I wasn't smart enough to look 40 years in the furure.

Comment

Originally posted by chief
          My 40 year old hack saw frame finally died, any recomendations on a new qaulity one?
          Yeah, Sawzall, heavy duty and 1" stroke plugged in and hanging off the side of the bench near the vice Lifes too short for hacksawing!
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Amen to that. I'm not sure where my hacksaw is now. I can't recall the last time I used it.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

My favorite hacksaw says "Sawzall" on the side of it.
              Seriously, this is as key of a piece of shop equipment as your screwdrivers, do not be afraid to spend some bucks, You won't regret it, rigidity is paramount.
              "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

when you find what you want, get a couple , its handy to have different pitches ready to go...i have three hanging on an L bracket above the vise. you guys that say you don't use them - how would you cut of a piece of say 1/4 CR or other small stuff?

Comment

Yep

Especially if you decide to cut some SS you'll need hardened blades

The Sawsall is nice but not anything in the way of accuracy. I have a couple of horizontal bandsaws but really wish one of them was nice vertical bandsaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                    Yeah, Sawzall, heavy duty and 1" stroke plugged in and hanging off the side of the bench near the vice Lifes too short for hacksawing!

I must be going in reverse then, I have two sawsalls, a couple mini belt sanders and a power planer etc but always reach for the hacksaw, file, or hand plane.

Ken.

Comment

Sandvik

My Sandvik must be 20 years old and still a pleasure to use.

Comment

how would you cut of a piece of say 1/4 CR or other small stuff?
                        I have 12" and 30" pairs. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the arm.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Luv me sawr

Originally posted by kendall
                          I must be going in reverse then, I have two sawsalls, a couple mini belt sanders and a power planer etc but always reach for the hacksaw, file, or hand plane.

Ken.

Im with you on that, I have a snap-on hacksaw and it gets used all the time, its actually a pleasure because it cuts so well ----- I have not seen a pic of the sandvik so cant comment -- but the best designed hacksaws that iv seen so far have the rectangular top tube (you also store spare blades there)

The rectangular tube allows for minimal side clearance and maximum strength in the direction you need it -- blade cutting and tension ,,, there are lots of others that have this design ---nicholson HD and lenox HD to name a couple --- they can be had on sale on amazon right now for 20 bucks,

My snap on is so rigid that if you dont heed the warning on how many turns of the blade tensioner you will pop blades just by tightening,
                          By all means it you build one use a rectangular top tube, round or square is much weaker and will rob precious side space.

Comment

Best $5.00 iv ever spent

Accurately copy this and I guarantee you wont be disappointed.

Comment

Just had a look what a Sawzall is as I'm not familar with them.

Turns out they are what we call sabre saws over here and didn't realise they were for metal, [ proves you learn something everyday ]

I have one of these and have been using it today to cut a load of pallets up for firewood.

Just nipped out and got some metal blades for it this afternoon so I'll give it a whirl later. Don't know if it because ours are 240 volt and so is the rest of the world but these come up on offer here for about £15 every so often, about $30.00 ?

I also have about 10 hacksaw frames but the best of the lot are the two Lennox the same as Boomer has listed.
                              If you are ever offered on of the modern tubular Eclippse frames the run but in the opposite direction, your knuckles will thank you...

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X