Please confirm MW article on Penetrating Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please confirm MW article on Penetrating Oil

The material below has been making the rounds of the internet for months. Could someone look up the Machinist Workshop issue and confirm/debunk as appropriate. Also, could someone fill in the gaps on what the test was attempting to demonstrate? Does it apply to seized engine bolts and rusted frame nuts?

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
    None ................. 516 pounds .
    WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
    PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
    Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
    Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
    ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

thanks!

Back issues are available from Village Press, the sponsors of this site. I suggest you contact them and purchase the issue in question.
    Jim H.

Comment

It was Power steering fluid not atf, according to the photo.

Comment

I've used ATF and diesel mixed together for years and I can say it does work better than WD.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

The only reason I keep ATF around is for freeing stuck bolts.
          I haven't tried mixing it with acetone, but it seems like it would work great, acetone would thin it out enough to flow easier.

Ken.

Comment

Wow, that's really surprising. I've been a PBlaster fan for a long time, but Liquid Wrench spanks it. Kroil is good stuff, but besides being ridiculously expensive, it's also very hard to find (and apparently not much better than Liquid Wrench).

ATF+Acetone is half of the "Ed's Red" formula. But IOWolf is saying the real formula is power steering fluid + Acetone?

By the way, is it just me, or does Liquid Wrench smell like sh!t? I kinda like the smell of PBlaster
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I seem to recall some write-in discussion of the discrepancy between the picture and the text and the author confirmed that it was ATF he used, but the quick picture had the wrong container.

At Cabin Fever several years ago there was a guy selling Farty Arty's Nut Buster. Maybe I should have bought a can, but didn't. No idea what was in it, but maybe he was just ahead of the curve. Or maybe I can now bust my nuts without Arty's help.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                I seem to recall some write-in discussion of the discrepancy between the picture and the text and the author confirmed that it was ATF he used, but the quick picture had the wrong container.

He might simply have been drinking the PS fluid.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks Jan -- ATF + acetone makes more sense to me. Penetrating oil is just thin oil with a solvent to carry it into the threads.

ATF is high detergent oil, and acetone is a powerful solvent, so that formula (which has floated around the 'Net for years) makes a lot of sense.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Dunno.. But I have a gallon of Kroil here and it will last me my lifetime. That seems pretty inexpensive.. Oh, and it does work.. JRouche
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

And to think all those years I used a cheater pipe on the wrench handle. Well, it was a free scrap- maybe not quite free, it cost me gas to go get the sockets replaced

A long time ago we used Whiz as a penetrating oil. (it was a real product, not used beer). It worked really well. It worked well on wasps nests as well. The can would squirt 20 ft.
                      Last edited by darryl; 02-05-2008, 03:19 AM.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

and the answer to the original question is...

Originally posted by 63Avanti
                        The material below has been making the rounds of the internet for months. Could someone look up the Machinist Workshop issue and confirm/debunk as appropriate. Also, could someone fill in the gaps on what the test was attempting to demonstrate? Does it apply to seized engine bolts and rusted frame nuts?

"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
                        None ................. 516 pounds .
                        WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
                        PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
                        Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
                        Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
                        ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."

thanks!

Comment

The answer is Mix some up and try it on your specific application .

Comment

Gee this topic comes just when I can use it. I bought an old 16 foot aluminum telescoping surveyers pole to modify for use as a vertical antenna on the camper.

On one of the telescoping sections the brass nut is frozen solid to the mating collar. I have used heat, cold, WD-40 and built a collar to grab the sleeve with so as not to damage it. This thread gives me more thing to try before I have to abandon this part and fabricate something else to get the job done. I have ATV fluid and acetone so I'll be on it first thing this morning.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

"Gee this topic comes just when I can use it. I bought an old 16 foot aluminum telescoping surveyers pole to modify for use as a vertical antenna on the camper.

On one of the telescoping sections the brass nut is frozen solid to the mating collar. I have used heat, cold, WD-40 and built a collar to grab the sleeve with so as not to damage it. This thread gives me more thing to try before I have to abandon this part and fabricate something else to get the job done. I have ATV fluid and acetone so I'll be on it first thing this morning."

You may try ATF first.

Comment

Working...
                              X