Finally did the QC toolholders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally did the QC toolholders!

Boy is that sweet. Someone here a week or so ago said they liked the CDCO set so I got a set for my SB9 for $89.00 and 10 tool holders at $10 each. I am very happy with the build quality. The tool holders look like a steal fro $10.00. They have a ground finish and few, if any, tool marks that I can see. Tomorrow I get to try them out. Spent all evening dealing with cosomoline ! Thanks to whoever it was that reccomended the CDCO set.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Only ten holders?That's not nearly enough,as you will soon find out ten wheelbarrows full is more like it
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My CDCO QCTP arrived this evening and I am impressed as well. Its a bit of an overkill for my 7x10 but should work nicely once I get it mounted.

I also ordered some index lathe bits and a Co-Ax indicator and they look to be of similar quality as the QCTP.

Robert

Comment

You boys over did it , as "China Joe" is out of stock on the BXA Std toolholders. Hopefully he'll get some more in.

Comment

Originally posted by daryl bane
          You boys over did it , as "China Joe" is out of stock on the BXA Std toolholders. Hopefully he'll get some more in.

LOL No kidding.. I just got my order in and it felt a lil light.. Five are on back order... JRouche

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Wow, JRouche!

I ordered 5 for my part, and thought that was quite a few. I have the original 6 that came with it, I've probably bought 5 more of various kinds, and this 5 will land me at 16.

How many you got total, JRouche, and are they all for one lathe?

Now you need to build a rack for 'em. With that many, I think a Lazy Susan for QCTP's.

Cheers,

BW
            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

It must be CDCO's big day or something. My shipment arrived with 5 toolholders, dial test indicator, drill bit set, center drill set, 60 deg center gauge, cutoff blade, and JT33 chuck to replace the one I stole off my mini drill press.

Quickly tried each toolholder and they all fit very nicely on the phase II wedge QCTP from Enco.

The rivets were blown out of the drill bit set so the side mounted trays were floating loose and the rivets were embedded in the surrounding styrofoam. No visible damage to the drill set case or trays so I just put some more rivets in place and am done with it. The package must have taken an impact during shipping but I don't consider this even worth telling CDCO about as I don't think it's their fault.

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield

How many you got total, JRouche, and are they all for one lathe?

Now you need to build a rack for 'em. With that many, I think a Lazy Susan for QCTP's.
                BW
                Hey Bob.. I think thirty something.. I just saw they were so inexpensive so I figured they were never gonna be any less expensive so I just bought a few more..

I crunched the numbers re: making my own or buying them. Even If I used some mild steel, which I wasnt gonna (4140ish was my plan) the parts and material would have been too close to even consider..

I use them on two 10 inch lathes. A southbend 10L and a monarch 10EE.. Both lathes have Phase II blockes on them. Works well for me...

Yer exactly right!! I was gonna do some good searches here and the web to find some ideas for tool holder holders..

My problem is these holders will all have tool bits in them most all the time and so maybe some kind of christmas tree type holder would be good. I was thinking about a long rail also but it would have to be segmented so I could remove a holder from the middle. Dunno, I am gonna have to do some searches..JRouche
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

My toolholders have taken up permanent residence on the top of the headstock, along with a couple of chuck keys and some swarf. I keep getting more of them; they seem to breed when I'm not watching. I'm looking for good storage ideas. ANyone?

Thanks,

Ian
                  All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Nice to see everyone is happy with there's That means I won't be able to get a few more I wanted to order 10 more because I did manage to use the ones I have up pretty quick and I ain't even turned the lathe on yet.

If you forget the cost of steel, I wonder how many you could make with $40.00 60 degree dovetail cutter before the cutter was scrap?

My SB9 mod A has the cabinet with drawers. the holders seem to fit in the drawer lined up like Ninja warriors all ready get ugly when needs be! I think that's all the storage I'll need. When I look down into the drawer the profile of the bit shows up very well.

I'm going to see if I can modify their Knurling tool so that it is sissors type. I have the sissors type from Enco and my use that as part of the mod.

Once I grind a shade off of my HSS cut-off blades they should fit the toolholders arraingment pretty well. I was not able to find any 1/2 HSS cut off blades, only the new $100 style with there $5.00 replacement carbice bits. That won't be in my shop till I buy it at one of your garage sales
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I have different mindset when it comes to QC tool holders. I have 7 or 8 of them and that to me is plenty. I'd rather switch tools than store 20 holders and look through them to find the tool I want to use. They fit in a nice row on the lathe headstock and there are not so many that I bang the cutting edge of the tool against the row in front while retrieving or replacing it.

Comment

I notice from the pictures of qctp fitted to lathes that the holder is always way down on the top slide which makes me think most are built to large for the lathes. For the piston to work properly I think the holder should be nearer the middle or at least cover the piston!!

ANtway nice deal at 10$ but over the pond the postage would kill any deal worth a light!!!

peter
                        I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Piston? I thought pistons go in engines. QCTP's are supposed to have wedges. (Ducks and runs for cover.)
                          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
                            Piston? I thought pistons go in engines. QCTP's are supposed to have wedges. (Ducks and runs for cover.)
                            They can have either. Mine has pistons but the wedge version is supposed to be .0002 more accurate. BUT, and this is a huge BUT........ they cost nearly twice as much. I'm pleased as punch with my inferior piston type

Comment

Originally posted by ptjw7uk
                              ANtway nice deal at 10$ but over the pond the postage would kill any deal worth a light!!!

peter
                              US Mail will airmail one of their Flat Rate Boxes up to a maximum weight of 20lb anywhere in the world for US$37, which to me is amazing value.

16 BXA holders fit in the box and under the 20lb just nicely

Comment

Working...
                              X