Crashed the mill with saw blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashed the mill with saw blade

I was trying for a nice slick cut through about 1" x 3/4 aluminum 6061 billet ! This happend twice, both at about the same point in time. I theroize that as I got nearly all the way through, enough heat built up that it allowed the aluminum to expand and capture the blade. The torque built up in the spinning geared head just kept spinning as the blade fractured and piled up like a proverbial train wreck.

[/IMG]
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

ooooo thats a good one! i can see whats wrong, you were going too fast and at too high a feed. what were the speeds & feeds again

Comment

Saw slitting aluminum requires attention to chip formation.

A spreading chip with limited coolant will drag the sides, becoming even hotter and make a dandy snowball gall. That makes a really good grip for the following snowball gall. etc etc >> scratch one sawblade.

You can convince youself with trying a lathe P/O blade that forces the ship to spread.

Hence, the concave top P/O blades work really well, with a minimum of oil.

Hth ag
      Last edited by agrip; 02-07-2008, 08:19 PM.

Comment

yod

Were you cutting into a hole in block? If so I think the block pinched the blade.
        jims

Comment

tallow on the blade/ hollow ground HSS is what i have on an eisel ali saw, sure you didnt get some sidethrust there?
          regards
          mark

Comment

Use Wd-40, kerosene or even plain old oil, any type and that won't happen no matter how fast you cut. Now, for a really nasty metal to cut try lead. It will grab that blade in an eyeblink no matter what lube you use.

[edit]

What's most likely happening is that it is getting hot enough to locally anneal the metal which turns aluminum to glue, like lead.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Hello
              Use Anti-Selze when cutting slots for lub.,also is good to put on threads of R-8 collets,not my idea,from PM,MI,PS (mag.) 20 to 30 years ago!!

Larry

Note: for deep slots just drill end hole (so it won't crack) then,bandsaw 2 & 1/2 x blade size , so you can saw one side of slot then the other,done it for years

Comment

brockley1

Use A 9 aluminum (aluminium for the limeys, I'm one) this is the best cutting fluid for this material by far. Peter
                The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

>I was trying for a nice slick cut through about 1" x 3/4 aluminum 6061 billet !

Try regular bar stock next time. That billet stuff is pretty nasty to machine. :-)

Comment

I would say the set off the saw was off ever so slightly and this combined with a bit of runout in the arbor produced the result.

Comment

As I recall I was cutting at 90 rpm with a 2.5" blade. I was using lots of WD-40 and feeding by hand in the Y direction. Think I'll order some thicker blades. These were some .032 eBay blades I believe. Anytime I'm likely to saw it's to be able to pinch another piece of roundstock with a bolt. This blade is too thin for that application anyway.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

There are slitting and slotting saws. If you slit with a slotting saw a jam can the result.
                        Jim H.

Comment

I save that headache buy running my aluminum blocks through the table saw.

Comment

Thanx for the pic YOD. I haven't wrecked that particular train yet so I'm paying close attention on this one.

SP

Comment

Little bites and moderate speeds and slow feed and like everyone has said, lots and lots of coolant. Flood coolant is best. Sharp, sharp cutters.

Comment

Working...
                              X