small strong magnets put to shop use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small strong magnets put to shop use.

I think it was Frank Ford who first drew my attention to these little neodynioumlwoqrst uv (sp) magnets to hole post notes for the shop.

Well I orderedd $25.00 worth of the 3/8 round by 1/2 inch long ones. (about 20) Everywhere I turn I am finding great uses for them. Here's a scatter shield I built for my mill to keep my floor cleaner (more on that in another post). The black frame you see is actually photography gaffers tabe. There are two 1/2 aluminum studs tapped on one end and slightly undersize holes drilled in the other end. A magnet is pressed into each undersized hole. The other end of the aluminum is threaded so that it can be bolted to the scatter shield. The 2 magnets grab the back of the vice and work to perfection. Any crash and the magnets release. In this photo the two wings are folded back against the main board.

I noticed the hole in my swarf brush and forced a magnet into the plastic handle. Now I don't have to stab my fingers in swarf as I pick up the brush.

[/IMG]
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

I use welder's "arrow" magnets for various things. There's one stuck to every machine where the chuck key for the machine goes. They're handy to hold a print. And in a pinch, you can hang a variety of other things on one.

Cheers,

BW
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

i use these little magnets to hold my wrenches for my lathe to the gearbox end, to hold chuck keys to the lathe tailstock and to my mill and drills, to hold drawings up where i can see them, and to hold small parts and parts dishes while assembling stuff....

Comment

Nifty ... where can i obtain some of these wonderous little devices?

Comment

I use them to grab cast iron dust when drilling it. Then the question is how to clean the cast iron dust from the magnets. Pinch off as much as you can with your fingers and remove the rest with sticky tape, duct tape is good. Magnetism is no match for Van der Waals forces.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I like the little magnets as well, but one problem with them is that over time they accumulate all kinds of swarf and debris. If the magnets are very strong, its almost impossible to get that crap off of them. So I have started wrapping them in a layer or two of seran wrap, then when they get loaded up, I just peel off the wrap and chuck the whole mess. Re-wrap and good to go for another while.

rollin'

Comment

Old computer hard drives are a good source for very powerful magnents.
              GHop

Comment

They don't work quite as well when bagged.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

magnetism is no match for van der waals forces?

Comment

I got mine off a guy on ebay. I think this is the right seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-PC-1-2-x1-2-N...QQcmdZViewItem

Incidentally, I saw his ad come up on this board as a sponsor.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                      I got mine off a guy on ebay. I think this is the right seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-PC-1-2-x1-2-N...QQcmdZViewItem

Incidentally, I saw his ad come up on this board as a sponsor.

thanks! i may need to make a purchase

Comment

"Then the question is how to clean the cast iron dust from the magnets."

Put them in a zip-lock baggie before using them. The swarf sticks to the bag. Then, turn the bag inside out and the crap is in the bag, and the magnet is outside.

I'm going to use similar magnets to cover the oiler holes on my lathe. The mismatching (or simply missing) Zerc fittings annoy me.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ennis
                          Then, turn the bag inside out and the crap is in the bag, and the magnet is outside.
                          This works for dogs too, I might add.

BW
                          ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                          Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                          http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
                            Then, turn the bag inside out and the crap is in the bag, and the magnet is outside.
                            This works for dogs too, I might add.

BW
                            What!?

Turn the dog inside out???
                            Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
                            - Piet Hein

Comment

Originally posted by Ghop Shop
                              Old computer hard drives are a good source for very powerful magnents.
                              I used to have a lot of fun with ceranium(sp) cobalt magnets at a drive manuf called Micropolis back in the 80's. Gawd them things were powerful!

They'd attract thru yer hand for one. If you let two of 'em get together at the corners with a pinch of your skin in between they'd bring blood. We used to stack a few and attract another straight up in the air for several inches. Hit so hard they'd crack sometimes.

I took a mess of 'em to show and tell when my daughter was in kindergarten and sent all the kids home with just one. Couldn't have nobody bleeding. Awhile later one of the Mom's asked me what she had to do to get one off her fridge.

SP

Comment

Working...
                              X