My NEW Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My NEW Mill

I got this Mill head for $100. It is a 2hp 3ph.

I mounted it to my Cincinati #1 horizonal mill.

I think it looks prety darned good, I might add it trams in at about .005 on the nod, and .015 on the side to side, but I am working on that.

Yikes!!! You did great!!!!! Wish it were mine. Fred

Comment

There's not much meat holding it onto the overarm. Have you made any cuts with it?
      Brett Jones...

Comment

Not without the motor attached,But I'm thinking its more of a drill press and boring rig.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWOLF
          I might add it trams in at about .005 on the nod, and .015 on the side to side, but I am working on that.
          The X-axis tram is easy to fix, but the nod is going to be a pain -- it looks like you're going to have to shim the bolt holes, or re-face the mounting plate.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Some guys would be happy enough just to get a little head? Sure you ain't taken more than your fair share?
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Oh, You noticed the die filer to the right?

Comment

What I noticed was that you didn't seem to have a plethura of files for it laying around where I might see them

Got one also, just looking for some files for it.

[IMG][/IMG]
                Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-08-2008, 05:22 PM.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I use normal , regular files. As most of us do.

Comment

Uhm, you guys know that Federal File makes "machine files", right?

I don't know what they charge, but they stock a fairly wide selection.

HTRN
                    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

I heard the rumuor on one of the forums that Federal is actually out of die filer files. I use regular files upside down, also. Round chainsaw files are nice in that they come in different diameters and aren't tapered.

It looks like VICTOR has some.
                      Last edited by moldmonkey; 02-09-2008, 01:59 AM.
                      Jon Bohlander
                      My PM Blog

Comment

YOW...... way cool that Victor has them........

Looks like I have to make another order soon!

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Others probably know this, but today I discovered mini-hacksaw blades (the ones sold in the plumbing section) turn a die-filer into a metal scroll saw. Now the auctioneer wasn't a liar when he called it a scroll saw at the auction where I bought it. I had been using my Chinese bandsaw in the vertical position and it wasn't working very well for detail work.

Jon
                          Jon Bohlander
                          My PM Blog

Comment

Monsewer Mr Le Wolf.

Take the ram off, bolt it nose first onto the bed and with a decent face cutter clean the end up and the head will bolt on a lot better.

[ Edit ] BTY that face mill is about 9" in diameter, solid steel and holds 5/8" shanked cutters and was made on one of those so called crappy round column rf 40 mills when they first came out in about 1984.

Last edited by John Stevenson; 02-09-2008, 07:23 PM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Great pic

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                              Monsewer Mr Le Wolf.

Take the ram off, bolt it nose first onto the bed and with a decent face cutter clean the end up and the head will bolt on a lot better.

[ Edit ] BTY that face mill is about 9" in diameter, solid steel and holds 5/8" shanked cutters and was made on one of those so called crappy round column rf 40 mills when they first came out in about 1984.

Great pic John.

That is the nearest I've seen to a plano mill in years!!

That facility is the reason my next mill will be a horizontal mill with a universal table and a universal vertical milling head.

That facility in your pic makes a great large lathe as well if the speed is slow enough.

That head of Wolfie's is a great buy too. I did like the way he set up the "Z" DRO too - good job all round Wolfie.

Comment

Working...
                              X