No announcement yet.

OT- Taking up old linoleum floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RW.. it'll still stink with a heat gun just not as bad. I've done what seems to be acres of tile/lino removal in the 40 unit motel we run. To do it right you have to take the old stuff off. I've tried every which way of cheating you can imagine... none of it worked. Now I just grab the ol' heatgun and a long handle thin blade putty knife rig and go at it... inch by agonizing inch.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I talked to an environmental engineer when I had to remove 2500 sq feet of tile from a shop floor. He said that asbestos remediation of vinyl floor tile is considered a scam. There was actually not a lot of asbestos in the tile and it is encapsulated. The tests for asbestos being a cancer causing substance were taken from asbestos miners who had worked more than 20 years mining the asbestos without protection. there would be the same risk in mining just about anything.

You risk more stick welding.

Scape it up, bag it, and send it to the dump.

Comment

DRY ICE, DRY ICE
        the stuff snaps off like pretzels.

Also "When" they made tile with asbestos in it, it was 9x9.
        12 x 12 tile is Vinyl most likely.
        Does the tile bend at all ?
        Asbestos tile was brittle
        Rich
        Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

vinyl floor tile
          The floor tile is not the same as linoleum flooring. The linoleum flooring is a lot more serious.

Comment

Yep, I was going to mention the fact that the asbestos tile is usually hard..... Breaks, not bends, and gives a little puff of dust when it does (yummy).

As far as asbestos..... There have been cases of mesoepithelioma (sp?) where the ONLY exposure known was a single weekend installing vermiculite insulation in a poorly ventilated attic. A lot of vermiculite is (or was) contaminated with asbestos.

That cancer is apparently associated with asbestos, and ONLY asbestos. You get it, you were exposed to asbestos.

So you do NOT need to have a life-long exposure.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

My house was built in 1904 the kitchens were redone in about 1950 the tile is the 9" sq. type this is the asbestos tile.If you have 12" sq. tiles you don't have asbestos tiles.
              I and every other shipyard worker was exposed to asbestos before about 1975 or 80 when all the asbestos was removed from the work place.We were placed in an asbestos program and were tested yearly and so far I have no sign of any cancer.The people who smoked were at greater risk from this than a non smoker,however even if you smoked that doesn't mean you will get sick.
              Asbestos was used in all sorts of products such as auto brakes and clutch disks one of the strangest places is in those "popcorn" ceilings that were popular a number of years ago.
              Lumpsmith

Comment

I was licensed as an asbestos removal, and had to re certified. every year.
                what I learned was, they don't know how much it takes to get sick, they really don't know why some people can be exposed to lots of it and never get it and some people get a little exposure and do. The tiles are very low in asbestos, basically if you keep it wet put it in trash bags, and then double trash bags and goose neck it with duck tape, you are doing the same thing as if they charged you $2,000 to remove it. The dumps here just put it in the same place where the rest of the garbage goes. Some of the more concentrated stuff goes to a special landfill. You can also wear a hepa face mask and use a hepa filter for you vacuum cleaner. Most everyone was exposed to asbestos, in shcools, brake shoes so it still remains a mystery, like cancer itself.

Comment

Get one of those narrow trenching spades with a narrow flat blade.
                  Sharpen it up with an angle grinder and go to it.

Not half as much work as with a scraper when you are on your knees.

I had to rip all the downstairs floors up when wwe move in here and once I had sussed this, it was taking about 3/4 of an hour per room.

You need one with a tee handle or some form of handle at the top and not a pole type handle.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                    Get one of those narrow trenching spades with a narrow flat blade.
                    Sharpen it up with an angle grinder and go to it.

Not half as much work as with a scraper when you are on your knees.

I had to rip all the downstairs floors up when wwe move in here and once I had sussed this, it was taking about 3/4 of an hour per room.

You need one with a tee handle or some form of handle at the top and not a pole type handle.

they used something like that on the tile floored hallways where I work. The guy slid it along the floor at just less than a 45 degree angle and they flew off. That floor was concrete, don't know how well it would work on wood sturcture.

John my heart swells with pride in you when you didn't try to tell us you made a shovel like that for Gert to use! You da man John
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                    X