Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help quick! (About a SouthBend lathe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help quick! (About a SouthBend lathe)

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-South-Bend-La...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys think? Whats this bad boy worth - its missing alot of pieces... but on the up side i walk past it everyday on my way to the shop. Its literally about 100 yards from me right now and i've often eye-balled it but not sure how i feel about bidding on it when its missing a tailstock.

You'd want to find a compound slide, too - a lathe is definitely limited without that.
    Last edited by rantbot; 02-11-2008, 02:59 AM.

Comment

You know what ... i think i actually know where the tailstock and compound are ... let me go check!

Comment

If you know where they are I'd snag it, if you don't they aren't that hard to find.
        Being close like that I'd almost have to pick it up if it were in halfway decent shape.

Ken.

Comment

brockley1

Didn't have time to check but it looks bigger than a 10. says 18R. Grab it even if you can't find the tailstock and the other half of the compound. Bottom half is there by squinting at the picture. I've seen tailstocks listed on ebay. Good luck. You have a lot of work to do. I spent a year rebuilding one I got for 50, Perfect now. Peter
          The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

50 bucks would be a no-brainer but 200+ bucks for one thats not in great shape? I didn't find the compound or the tailstock (it might turn up though) but it does have a taper attachment on it... what do you think as far what its worth? (i know thats a tought question ... i'm sorry)

Change gears/drive train looks to be decent, lots of back-lash in the cross-slide and a little stiff but seems to be more or less consistent across the cross-slide so no noticeable wear there.

Its a bit on the tiny side though ... the cross-slide dial doesn't seem as nice as some. Like the bridgeport mills or larger lathes have fairly big dials so you can estimate a 1/2 thousand fairly easily. On the SB the lines are just so close
            Last edited by Fasttrack; 02-11-2008, 01:56 AM.

Comment

You might want to check the ways for wear. I would think you could easily get $250 for it if parted out. Likely quite a bit more. The taper attachment is likely worth at least $100.

I was able to get a compound for my SB9 on E-Bay in short order when the original one broke. The mount broke off. I still have the old one and it could be repaired with a little work. I plan to do so one day and sell it to recoup what I paid for the second one. Many of the parts are common for the 9s and 10 and if it would fit and if you have a mill, I could sell you the compound and machine a new mount for it. But it would take some milling to mount the mount and I would not have time for that at the present time.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Fasttrack:
                That lathe is very similar to mine Mine came out of the university of Penn through a dealer. IIRC I paid around $700 for mine complete severla years ago.
                Now for that lathe if nothing else it has $200 in parts value the thread dials alone go for a hunderd bucks .And the taper atachment certainly has value. The other good thing is the spindle and ways are likly in great shape for the age as university lathes were not used for production. As they say in real estate I think that has good bones. Now the downside is to turn that in to a complete lathe will require some work and creative scrounging . The other major piece I see missing is the chip tray It also helps brace the legs on the tailstock end. I think with a little vision, fortitude , perseverance and a fair but not exteme amount of cash that could be a great lathe. But not a project for the faint of heart.
                Tin
                Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

I've watched taper attachments for Southbend on ebay and they normally go up-wards of $400. The tail-stock and cross slide might cost you some good money on ebay. Combined with what you've spent on the lathe and you could be talking about some pretty good money in the end.

Much of what I do on my lathe does not require the use of the tail-stock. If I didn't have a tail-stock I could get some use out of the lathe while I waited to find one.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

SB Lathe

After looking at the pictures, I think it just might be a South Bend Heavy 10. It looks identical to mine, made in 1945. I would say go for it, provided that the ways are not to "chewed up." The 3 phase motor would has to be change. One big advantage is it can be dissambled into much smaller pieces, making it easy to move into a basement. This was a big plus in my case and made moving mine a easy task. While I had it apart, I did a good cleaning and lubing job to get it up and running. Over the years, I have been able to find the missing attachments and now have a well "tricked out" lathe.

Bill
                    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

If you can see it in person, maesure the bore of the headstock. If it is 1-3/8", it is a Heavy Ten. If it is in any kind of decent condition and stays in the $200 range it is worth the money.

Somebody should jump on those hydraulic tracers. You have no idea how useful they are until you own one.
                      Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                        Somebody should jump on those hydraulic tracers. You have no idea how useful they are until you own one.

possibly why there's no tailstock.

Ken

Comment

You could not go wrong for $450 or less. I am sure you could part it out on Ebay for atleast that most like a lot more. Gary P. Hansen
                          In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

by the way. It is a heavy ten for sure. If you look close you can see 10 Sputh Bend on the bed in the photo. Gary P. Hansen
                            In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by garyphansen
                              It is a heavy ten for sure.
                              Is it?

I had a vague idea that one of the R models eventually evolved into the heavy ten. But that doesn't make them the same deal.

That one's an oldie. The single-arm gearbox was dropped sometime in the late 1940s, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X