morse taper repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• morse taper repair

A couple of the morse tapers have scoring on them, what is the best way to fix that, (the little nibs that are raised up)?

If external (a center, or whatever), a fine file, judiciously applied, ought to do it.

If internal (a socket), get yourself a Morse taper finishing reamer and lightly ream the socket until it's clean. Places like Travers www.travers.com and MSC www.mscdirect.com sell "quality import" Morse finishing reamers for pretty reasonable money.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

What Steve said, but apply the reamer very judiciously. If the female taper of a tailstock or spindle has lumps or bumps, first try a light touch with a file or stone. A reamer will quickly deepen a taper, and especially on a tailstock, can lead to other problems.
      Jim H.

Comment

brockley1

You know in your first post you showed a drawer with a bunch of tools. could you lay them out and let us see exactly what you have. I see two drill chucks, some hss toolholders and at least one parting off holder plus some items of which I'm not sure. I presume the tapers are on the drill chucks-maybe not. Peter
        Last edited by Oldbrock; 02-14-2008, 12:11 PM.
        The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

here is a more detailed pic of what I have.

I also found a live center with my stuff, and some large drill bits with an adapter for the morse taper. The larger of the two chucks I am not going to use.

I see the chucks are not in this pic, I will have to get that later.

I think there are boring bars in there, what do you put them in to bore?
          thanks.

Comment

[QUOTE= what do you put them in to bore? [/QUOTE]
            They look like the type used in a boring head:http://littlemachineshop.com/Product...0/480.1266.jpg
            In the lathe,it would be fitted on a morse taper arbor in the tailstock.
            Hans

Comment

Re: the Morse taper adapter.
              I assume it's a Morse #3 to #2 adapter, for the headstock.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

The boring bars I am familiar with do not go in the tailstock. The tailstock would not allow for a means of adjusting cut.

A boring bar holder is in order. You can make one that replaces the whole toolpost. However, in your picture is at least one Armstrong boring tool holder....with a boring bar in it.

Paul
                Paul Carpenter
                Mapleton, IL

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
                  Re: the Morse taper adapter.
                  I assume it's a Morse #3 to #2 adapter, for the headstock.
                  yes, that is what it is, it fits the tailstock and I have not tried the headstock yet, as the chuck is on there.

Comment

Originally posted by pcarpenter
                    The boring bars I am familiar with do not go in the tailstock. The tailstock would not allow for a means of adjusting cut.

A boring bar holder is in order. You can make one that replaces the whole toolpost. However, in your picture is at least one Armstrong boring tool holder....with a boring bar in it.

Paul

Ok I see it now, good thing it wasn't a snake.

Comment

Working...
                    X