Insert adapting in face mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insert adapting in face mill

I have a face mill I aquired recently, should work nice if I could locate or come up with something for inserts. It is a high positive rake mill (25deg) and uses 1/2 square inserts.

The problem is the inserts are .156 thick, very uncommon. Any reason not to use .125 thick inserts and put a .030 shim behind the seat to restore it to center? .125 thick inserts are common and cheap. I am only going to use it for light facing to true up stock so the thinner insert should be sturdy enough. (.187 thick inserts exceed the clamp slot range)

BTW the spec'd insert is SFKN12T3AZTN
    I am considering something like SEKN 422 or the like in .125 thick
    Last edited by Sparky_NY; 02-15-2008, 11:02 AM.

120 some views and nobody has any comments on shimming up a carbide insert? Pros and cons?

Comment

Buying used tooling off Ebone can be fairly difficult.

I always check to see if Inserts and or Manufactures information is even available for the tooling before I bid on it. Valenite Mini-Mills are pretty nice but just try and look up which inserts you need for them. Valenite doesn’t publish the information any more.

With that being said, in answer to your question, I would say No.

Face mill inserts are exposed to High Shock quite often and the shim would weaken an already stressed application. Sure with some softer metals and or surface preparation you would be able to get away with it, but in no way would it dependable live up to the original specifications.

I say this mainly due to the fact I bought several shoulder mills off Ebone that used some very hard to find CMSI inserts. The previous owner had improvised using CDEW inserts and ruined the pockets.

Oh well, You live and learn on some things

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin
        Buying used tooling off Ebone can be fairly difficult.

I always check to see if Inserts and or Manufactures information is even available for the tooling before I bid on it. Valenite Mini-Mills are pretty nice but just try and look up which inserts you need for them. Valenite doesn’t publish the information any more.

With that being said, in answer to your question, I would say No.

Face mill inserts are exposed to High Shock quite often and the shim would weaken an already stressed application. Sure with some softer metals and or surface preparation you would be able to get away with it, but in no way would it dependable live up to the original specifications.

I say this mainly due to the fact I bought several shoulder mills off Ebone that used some very hard to find CMSI inserts. The previous owner had improvised using CDEW inserts and ruined the pockets.

Oh well, You live and learn on some things
        First, thanks for taking the time to reply!

This wasn't a ebone tool, although they show up there also. I got it from a local tool supply that also has used/surplus stuff. Its a SUMITOMO, UFO series. Apparently its a current version, still listed on their website, but the only insert information is to their own part #'s, listed in the original post.

In thinking further, and searching further, .125 thick in square inserts with high rake is also a odd beast. .187 is more common. This particular face mill is set up a little different than other insertable tools I have seen. The "pocket" is just a flat surface, quite large, maybe 3/4x1, with a similar sized flat carbide backer for the insert. To locate the insert properly, there is a second piece, also carbide, that raises the insert to the proper height and angle in the pocket and sandwiches up against the flat backer, the insert edges locate up against this piece, the larger carbide backer only serves as support to the rear flat of the insert.

Right now, I am going to look into making some of those "locater" pieces. Cutting them should allow various inserts to be placed in the proper geometry on the head. There was a recent thread here with a fellow that made up a insert fly cutter for a triangle insert. It worked well. The same theory should work here. I would only experiment with one insert/pocket at a time until I see if it works out.

I do mostly aluminum, brass and some mild steel. I am only looking for light (.010-.015) cuts just to true up flat surfaces and get nice finishes.
        Last edited by Sparky_NY; 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X