That light bulb ban.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That light bulb ban.............

For those worried that they will have to stock up on incandescent bulbs to avoid the ban, don't.

Despite the media simplifying the message so that your TV saturated brain can actually process it, there is not a "ban" on incandescent bulbs as reported.

What there seems to be is an efficiency requirement. It turns out that available incandescent bulbs (but not the cheap type) ALREADY meet the first level efficiency improvement, which is on the order of 20 or 30%.

Subsequent levels are a bit tougher. But the fact of the matter seems to be (according to industry trade mags) that there is no "cold turkey ban".

So no worries that you will be seeing strobing on your machines, etc, etc. You should be able to get incandescent bulbs for years to come.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

So you get strobing on the electronic ballasts? I think they are somewhere around 400 hz?
    and leds should be coming on the market before too long I would think. The bulbs will be around but I bet they will be getting very expensive, as the demand drops.
    Last edited by kjbllc; 02-15-2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kjbllc
      and leds should be coming on the market before too long I would think. .
      the delay has been caused by manufactures trying to figure out how to make the led burn out 1000x quicker

Comment

Leds

They will have to come up with a weak link to put into led bulbs so they burn out predictably, like 12vdc car batteries.
        Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Hey, and you know those new expensive Fluorescent lights contain mercury.

Mercury is that liquid metal we used to play with in our
          hands when we were kids.

Mercury is now a Hazardous Material!

Break a Fluorescent bulb where I work, and you have to call the haz-mat crew for a clean up!

Are we going foreward, or backwards?

Kap

Comment

Electronic ballasts run around 40KHz.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
              the delay has been caused by manufactures trying to figure out how to make the led burn out 1000x quicker
              Better yet,they lease the fixtures and sell the bulbs,that way the consumer keeps paying and paying and paying
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by kjbllc
                So you get strobing on the electronic ballasts? I think they are somewhere around 400 hz?
                Not so far as I know, although it is possible.... they operate from the 60 (50) Hz line, and the amount of light variation depends on the "storage" capacitor value used.... cheap>>>small.

I thought it was brought up in a prior thread.... mostly about regular fluorescents.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                X