Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switch lathes???

Hey,
    I am a hobbyist! I have a 6" craftsman with Timken bearings. It came with everything. I have the mill attachment, complete set of gears, collets, steady rest, follower rest, you name it I got it. I have not mastered it yet.
    I got a call today a "friend " has a 10" Atlas for sale for $300.
    Now I am torn!!! Sure it is an increase in turning ability. It probably comes with little or no tooling. It isn't a great change from Craftsman to Atlas. I don't think it is a step to take. What do you advise? My best regards to all and thanks to those that help in advance. Fred

If it was me, I'd buy the 10 and keep the 6.

They'll compliment each other nicely.

Ken.

Comment

Unless the Atlas is trashed it's worth $300. Pics? Model Number?

Comment

There are a couple of points to be pondered.

What do you want a lathe for? There is nothing wrong with the 6" Craftsman if it is the Atlas version, which I would guess it is with that level of accessories. If it serves your needs, what do you gain by replacing it?

Almost none of the accessories from the 6" will work on the 10", and it will cost you hundreds of dollars to duplicate what you have. You can probably recoup most of that expense by selling the 6", but will have to go through the exercise of retooling.

If you feel the need for a larger machine, I would tend to hang on to the 6" and keep an eye open for a good 12" or 13" machine, it will not cost much more than the 10" Atlas in the long run and give you much more capability.
        Jim H.

Comment

I agree with JC, keep what you have and learn all you can and I mean ALL you can. Then later buy a bigger lathe, say a 13 or 14 by 40 or more. There would be no reason to sell the 6" unless room or money is an issue.

Learn all you can with what you have. A good imagination goes a long way to solving problems.

Open your mind, think, dream then do.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

I have a 10 x24 and am happy as a hobbyist not producing.Many people have such a lathe size as mine and use it commercially all the time .A ten inch lathe is a big lathe by any stretch of the imagination and you might never use the extra size so I agree hold on and learn on what you've got .However if the ten inch is a give away bargain and you are the entrepreneurial type then buy it if in good condition as a machine to trade later on.
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I agree with JC hold out ofr 13 or 14" machine if the 6" is big enough for now.

A 10" bench mahine really isn't much of a jump. a 13" Gear head engine lathe though is whole different animal.
              Ignorance is curable through education.

Comment

Generally, a bigger lathe is a worthwhile acquisition.

I don't believe that I can recall a single occasion when I thought to myself, "Jeepers, I really wish my lathe was just a little bit smaller." Ten may not sound like much, but it's a huge increase in capacity over a six.

Comment

I think I am going to pass. The lathe comes with three jaw chuck and steady rest, nothing else, no change gears. The carriage moves in one direction and not the other. To tool up for this one would be alot more than I think I want to get into. Thanks for all the help. Fred

Comment

Keep the 6"!

I also agree with JC about getting a bigger lathe if you need one, but the little Atlas is handy to have around.....Bought my 6" over 30 years ago at a yard sale.....Timken bearings, change gears, steady, milling attachment plus mucho extra.....Even have a QC toolpost, custom made.....

The larger lathe I've had was a 10" Atlas, then a couple 12" models, the last of which will be for sale soon since I lucked into a 13" Le Blond regal.....

The small machine just seems handier for small fine work.....Don't have to deal with the large chuck on the Le Blond.....Much better for teaching yung'uns too, it's sized for them.....

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X