9" South Bend lathe on govliquidation site...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x39
    • Nov 2002

9" South Bend lathe on govliquidation site...

Came across this 9" South Bend lathe at govliquidation.com, appears to be new in the crate with some rust from storage.Might be a good buy for someone in the Boston/ New England area.
    Last edited by x39; 02-15-2008, 08:56 PM.
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

Nice,a buddy of mine bought a Versa-mill in that same context,NIB.It was indeed and had every single solitary attachment made for it along with it.Got to hand it to the g'mint,when they spend money on tools they do it right.

There are also several SB on this listing-

EDIT: It's up to $690 right now,I say it will fetch at least $2k before it's over.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• tony ennis

Man they just leave that stuff out in the rain?

Comment

• wierdscience
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by tony ennis
        Man they just leave that stuff out in the rain?

Yup,and most times it's near the coast and has been the victim of "forklift hockey"
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• bhjones
          • Jan 2006

I'm in Maine and check what's in my state at that site from time to time. I bit a couple hundred on that lathe the day the auction opened. I think I was high bidder for about 20 minutes.

I'm with wierdscience, this will go for $1500 - $2000. Gotta love what that name does for the price.
          Brett Jones...

Comment

• JCHannum
            • Nov 2001

You guys are pikers. I bet that lathe will go over $5000.00 and it is well worth it. Where else are you going to find a NIB 9" South Bend lathe?.
            Jim H.

Comment

• rantbot
              • Jun 2006

What, new 9" South Bends came all rusty like that?

I'm pretty sure the 10" ones didn't. I never saw a new 9".

Comment

• JCHannum
                • Nov 2001

That does not look to be too heavy, and will probably not deter a few from bidding it up. Watch the auction, it has more than three days to go. The real bidding will occur in the last few minutes.
                Jim H.

Comment

• rantbot
                  • Jun 2006

Doesn't matter if it's "too heavy" or not. That lathe has been abused, not used. It is nowhere near NIB. But I have no doubt that it will sell for far more than it's worth.

Comment

• portlandRon
                    • Feb 2004

In looking at other items up for bid on that site you can see just how screwed up the federal government is. They have up for bid a lot of "used" zinks that "requires mutilation" that must be documented and possible observed.

Just think how bad and the problems it could create if those zinks were to fall into the wrong hands.

Just another example of how government waste or tax $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

One would think you could do more harm with the metal lathe, just think what you could make with it.

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
                      • Aug 2002

I don't know jim new? yes! new condition ? definitely not.This looks rough and for $5000.00 I could think of better still we'll see.Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• Bill Pace
                        • Jul 2005

I too think its new (unused), --- thats not to say abused! I agree with Jim, the rust doesnt appear to be so very bad and would clean up pretty easily and be one heck of a find..... be interesting to see what it does go for.
                        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

• bhjones
                          • Jan 2006

4 hours to go and only $850. maybe someone will make off with it at a reasonable price.
                          Brett Jones...

Comment

• HTRN
                            • Jul 2004

An hour and a half to go, and it's at $940.

I'm betting it tops $1200 before this is over. I betcha it winds up in a dealers inventory, to be resold at $2K+, probably to a collector.

The cult of South Bend strikes again.

HTRN
                            EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
                              • Aug 2002

I think we are paying as many of us do extra for the name if this makes silly money.Don't misunderstand me this is a well made lathe but for the money you may find you are paying for the name and the fact it is very difficult to buy a new s/bend lathe in it's cocoon like that mothballed away.It will be interesting.Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X