Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• way OT, FIGURE THIS OUT!

http://www.bored.com/mysticalball/index.htm

I can't figure it out! Read instructions, you just need to do in your head and then click for the answer with no input via the keyboard. It has given me my pick every time. how???????

Steve

OK, you got the six petal flower symbol. I say this without actually doing it even once. How?

Any two digit number consists of two integers (ab) and it's value is actually (10*a) + b. Now if you subtract a + b from that value, you get:

10*a + a - (a + b)

or

10a + a - a - b

which is

9a or 9*a

Hence the answer is always a multiple of 9. 0, 9, 18, 27, etc. With two digit numbers, the highest answer you can get with this is 9*9 or 81. If you look at the table, you will see that every multiple of 9 from 0 to 81 has the six leaf flower design. That is the only one you can get with the process.

Many math tricks are based on similar ideas where the sequence of steps cancels out some or all of the original, truely random number chosen.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Paul,
      ahhh, Now I get it and you are right. What threw me off is that the chart also changes symbols when you refresh it to throw you off.
      Well my 10 year old daughter showed me this and ...whelp I had no answer for her.
      I knew somebody on this forum would have the answer right away!
      Thanks!

Steve

Comment

I only went there once so I didn't see the refresh: nice extra touch. That will give you a different answer each time. But it's still multiples of nine.

You gotta keep ahead of those 10 year olds. Good luck.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

No wonder they call the site Bored.com. The connection never went through.
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Correction

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore
            Any two digit number consists of two integers (ab) and it's value is actually (10*a) + b. Now if you subtract a + b from that value, you get:

10*a + a - (a + b)
            or

10a + a - a - b

which is

9a or 9*a
            Minor error - Should Be: 10*a + b - (a + b) or

10a + b - a - b

which is

9a

Bill
            Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Working...
            X