Surface Grinder HSM sized (6x12)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface Grinder HSM sized (6x12)

My buddy had been making noises about maybe selling his small surface grinder and getting one of the tool and cutter grinders that is capable of also doing some light surface grinding,-- since he wanted more of the one and less of the other.... So, when the recent threads by Your Old Dog and Spin Doctor about surface grinders came up, I followed it with interest. As typical of us "tool-aholics". I 'kinda' wanted one (didnt NEED one... and besides, down here in the wastelands there were never any available anyhow)... but, with the possibility of one becoming available .... I wanted all the info I could get, and as usual there was some good stuff in the threads.

Well, my buddy found a T&C grinder (Covel) and definitely put the surface grinder on the market, and at a very attractive price, and I got it a week or so ago. The grinder was attractive for more than the price.... at one time in its past, it had belonged to Lane, and he had gone through it quite extensively, and with the present owner having used it very little, I felt a LOT more comfortable buying it than something off ebay. Its an "Eagle" brand, made in England, is manual with a right drive table...

"manual with a right drive table" ----- HAH!, these were discussed quite a bit in the threads, and boy, did I get checked out on that part of a surface grinder!! ........I had to have a magnetic chuck for it, and pretty quickly found a rather nice fine pole 6x12 (unknown brand) for $116 on ebay. It had been in a coolant system and was DIRTY!, --- cleaned up nicely, but decided it could stand a "skimming" to finish the clean up, and, I could check out my new grinder......About 6-8 hours later, 3 heart attacks, pulling hair, a nervous breakdown, and a multitude of %&^#** , ---it finally turned out pretty nicely. Magnet chucks do not grind worth a hoot! In the first couple hours, I thought it was ruined with the dig-ins and burn marks,-- what with my inexperience with the operation, and the characteristics of this tool. After about 6-8 passes (at 15-30mins each), I had slowed down to taking 20-40 thou feeds and only advancing after the up and down sweep and the burning & diggin-in stopped and the surface began to clean up...WHEW!! I was dressing the (new) wheel after about every 3-4th pass. Have still got a couple marks that didnt come out, but I can live with them ... Id had enough of going back and forth over that thing!

Was telling Lane about it and he seemed to think that my description sounded about normal for this .... in other words... a pain in the butt!!

So I can speak with some authority that the manual table isnt all that bad --- that next time I need a little 1x6" piece of steel cleaned up I think it will go rather quickly!! As for the right hand table wheel...well, I cant say yea or nay about it...

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

The construction of this one is a little different than what one would think of as standard with surface grinders. It appears the grinder may be a surface grinder version of a horzontal or vertical mill because it has a knee. What type of way construction does it have on the longitudinal (x) axis?
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

sorry, as far as i'm aware the eagle is chinese, however they seem to work ok if a bit slow, i've been in the market for one for a while as i dont need a lot of stuff ground so on of those would be ideal
      mark

Comment

Nice looking setup. Thanks for sharing the surface grinder rookie info with us. I've had my eye out for something smaller and clean looking but no luck so far. Still have to wrestle with the 3 phase change-over. Is your setup 3 phase?
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

It looks nice but that's quite popular over here .If you can overcome all the hand winding then you have a beauty nice and clean,your friend did not abuse it by the look of it have fun kindest regards Alistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by boslab
            sorry, as far as i'm aware the eagle is chinese, however they seem to work ok if a bit slow, i've been in the market for one for a while as i dont need a lot of stuff ground so on of those would be ideal
            mark
            The Eagle is most definitely not Chinese!
            Originally made by by the Dronsfield brothers, who later sold the rights to Victa. Very good little grinders, very solidly built, although anyone that you might find now will have been old when Gods dog was a puppy.

Bill, that one you have their looks like an Eagle MkII. I have some old brochure re-prints somewhere, and if I can find them I'll scan them for you.

I sold mine a few months ago and bought a J&S 540 which I have yet to install.

Peter
            Last edited by Peter N; 02-18-2008, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Spin, --- it has rack & pinion on the X,-- Lane had done some work on the ways and it is quite smooooth. It is a bit "unconventional" in construction ... the motor in in the bottom with a looong belt up to the spindle.

boslab, --- as Peter says, aint NO way this little jewel was made in China!!

Dog, ----It had a 220v non convertible on it, I didnt have 220 where I wanted it to live and had a 110 motor in the cabinet so changed it out. But, Lane had installed the 220,-- I dont know what it came with ... being English? My buddys 'new' Covel came with 3ph and hes having to do a work-around it....

Peter --- Yeah, age??, its pretty obvious from the design and construction, its got some years on it,-- and it IS a beefy little guy (I"ve really taken a shine to it!) An Eagle Mkll??....If you do indeed have those brochures, Id love to have em. It still has the mfgs placard on the side, but doesnt give model type.
              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Nice acquisition and good job finally recovering from the chuck grind. It's a sickening feeling to just hear/see the chuck "growing" up into the wheel from heat expansion with the resulting divot. At one time I'd modified a grinding wheel just for chuck grinding by making notches around the edge on the offhand grinder to leave only about half the periphery and maybe provide more cooling air movement. I'd read about that somewhere though it sounds a little spooky in retrospect. In any case, it did work in spite of the hairy eyeballs from older toolmakers. Even at that I tried to take the barest amount of downfeed and run the x traverse as fast as I could spin the wheel so it didn't dwell and start warming up the chuck. I think patience is really your friend for that task, and fortunately it doesn't have to be done very often.

You can make your own magnetic parallels and V-blocks, by the way.
                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Surface plate

A great machine and shop asset.

You won't regret it.

I support all the comment to date.

There is another perhaps "hidden" asset too.

The magnetic chuck, when ground true, makes an excellent surface plate - but leave the magnets "off" though - as I found out through being absent-minded or not having my mind on the job.

Comment

Nice Grinder - I'm impressed.

Nothing nicer then to have an accurate finish on some tooling you've spent hours making and that is just the tool to do it.

Comment

I can relate only too well to your new grinder. I got a Boyar Schultz 6x12 this past summer, also without a chuck. I also got a 6x12 fine pole chuck but couldn't find one on fleabay and someone here told me of a new one for under $200 so I just ordered it.

What I learned..... softer steels require harder grinding wheels, chucks are soft so a hard wheel is desired. I used a K as I recall.

A friend who has a shop told me it is very common when grinding in a chuck to put a light coating of "Crisco" on it. I did, it worked great.

Read up about different wheels. Consider them like milling cutters, different ones for different purposes and jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
                        Spin, --- it has rack & pinion on the X,-- Lane had done some work on the ways and it is quite smooooth. It is a bit "unconventional" in construction ... the motor in in the bottom with a looong belt up to the spindle.
                        Well, the long belt isn't that unusual. What I was really interested in finding out was if the table ways were dovetail or vee and flat. I couple of years ago or so I was doing a thought excercise about converting a 6x26 mill to a gear hob. I wonder if something similiar could be done to go the SG route by using the turret casting as the spindle housing
                        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

SpinDoctor, the X slideways are dovetails front and back on the Eagle Grinders.

Peter

Comment

Nice job Bill. the magnet looks good.Yes the grinder is out of the 30` oar 40`. I rebuilt it a number of years ago. All dove tail ways 35؛ re machined them and re scraped every thing. Very old English with withworth threads.
                            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Bill Pace, I have never had a problem grinding in a mag table. I have always turned the mag on and ground no more than .001" off the surface at a pass with steady passes of 2 seconds per pass on the 12" long table. If you go to fast the table will get hot and expand up and burn the surface and not be flat. It helps to keep a spray bottle of coolant, just plain water will work, to keep the table cool. Be sure to clean and lube it after the dressing operation.

I make a pass feeding the table in and lower the wheel and make a pass back across the surface feeding out then dress the wheel. Every two passes in and out I dress the wheel and the reason is as the wheel goes over the table one edge of the wheel cuts coming out and the other edge cuts going back in with the crossfeed. Now both sides of the wheel are used up and I dress it. All this takes time but I end up with a flat and near perfect surface.

There is no way to speed up the dressing of the mag table. If the table is electric you have to spray it to cool it because the magnets will warm up and cause the table surface to rise.

I guess you found all this out as you ground your table.

While this method works for me it may not work for anyone else but patience is the main thing when grinding.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X