Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make a high pressure oiler from a grease gun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a high pressure oiler from a grease gun.

Hey guys! I found this posted over on the PM site (ya...I know).
    One of the best writeups I've seen on this.
    http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/oi...unconvert.html
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I'm surprised you haven't seen that before Russ -- it's been on the Metalweb News since 1996

Created: 04/21/96
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

What would that be used for?

The only think I can think of off hand is to mount one backwards on the roof of your car. When you get one of those freaking "Gators" on your tale just squeeze off a shot and give him something to do for a few hours?

Nothing in my shop fits tight enough to need high pressure
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
        What would that be used for?
        The Bridgeport and Millrite lubrication ports are Alemite high-pressure oil ports. There's always some newbie who gets a new mill, sees the Alemite ports, and starts filling the table ways with grease

To lube the Bridgeport/Millrite table you need a high-pressure oil gun with an Alemite fitting. McMaster sells them for $45, but you can make your own for about half that.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Thanks Lazlo, appreciate the help.
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Robert, I haven't spent much time on that site.
            I'd like to make one of these for the oilers on my mill drill and for most on my lathe.
            I have an old Italian made oiler that works really well but all the high pressure needed to overcome some of these china oilers has about wore this out.
            I'm thinking that the grease gun with a solid feed tube would be good. Both hands on the thing and you could press pretty hard to overcome the spring pressure. Some of the oilers on these two machines are absolute witches to get oil into.
            Russ

Comment

Russ, it's been awhile since I sold my Mill/Drill, but I thought it had the press-in ball oilers. The Alemite fitting are threaded, so you'd have to tap the holes with a NPT tap.

I think BadDog said that he had retrofitted his Rockwell with Alemite fittings...

The nice thing about the high-pressure ports is that you can really fire the oil into the ways. When I got my Millrite, the ways were loaded with grease. I filled the McMaster high-pressure oil gun with mineral spirits, and the gun just blasted the grease out of the dovetails. It was pretty amazing.

I thought about tapping my lathe saddle for the Alemites, but they stick up, and I was sure I'd manage to impale myself on them, or that they'd catch swarf coming off the chuck...

Comment

What about the smaller, one hand, pistol grip type guns, reckon they'd convert?... those ole big guns are awkward at best.

It IS tempting to at least adapt Alemites to some of the oilers, those little ball oilers are a real pain, though like Laz says, I wonder about the 'sticking out' aspect of it
                If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Nice find Torker.

Proper lube is key to the best performance and longevity for your machines.

I've been accumulating parts to retrofit my mill with a single shot oiling system similar to this:

Once I get done assembling the goodies (the fittings are legris which I'm gradually acquiring on eBay for way below list), I'll have a go of it.

I've put together notes and links from several good buildups I've found on the subject for those who may be interested:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookb...lllOneShot.htm

The one shot pumps are readily available on eBay too. I bought my Bijur for $25.

Cheers,

BW
                  ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                  Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                  http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Bob, I'd love to have a one shot on my mills. I doubt if I'll ever take the time to do it for my ol' mill drill as it's hopfully going to have an easier life once I get that Van Norman with BP head.
                    I'm betting your one shot install will be a big job from start to finish but your set for life once it's done.
                    Laz... I'll have to check out those fittings you're talking about. Never seen or used them (at least not on purpose ).
                    In case the odd one of you out there doesn't know this... auto supply places carry a sharp needle type end for grease guns that would be perfect for ball oilers. They originally came out so you could grease the U-joints in the double Carden equipped driveshafts on the mid seventies pickup trucks.

Comment

Yeah, I bought a Bijur TMD-5 (the automatic one-shot lubricator), but I've put off installing it because plumbing it is a pain in the ass. You have to bypass all the existing lube ports, and re-run them with the Bijur plumbing.

Kay Fisher has a great article about retrofitting his Bridgeport with a one-shot lube, and it's a lot of work:

http://www.neme-s.org/shapers/bridge...ml#oneshotlube

Last edited by lazlo; 02-17-2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                        Laz... I'll have to check out those fittings you're talking about. Never seen or used them (at least not on purpose ).
                        Yes you have Russ Alemite is the company who patented the tapered grease port we all use. It's the same connector used on the Bridgeport and Millrite mills for oil ports.

Many people just see the Alemite port, and assume it's for grease, and stick a grease gun on it...

Comment

Laz... ok.. now I'm embarrassed

Comment

It's realy easy folks. Just hold the gun (grease/oil) with the back end
                            up and pour way oil in . Don't even use the end cap/plunger bit.
                            All I did was replace the straight fittings on the knee with angle ones
                            and the ones on the end of the saddle orientate in an upward direction
                            Store the gun in a gallon can with the top cut partly open and the
                            nozzle down. (in a flamables cabinet with the doors closed) :-)
                            For our two Bridgeports with zerks works fine.
                            ...lew...

Comment

I used some HF 4ton porta power pumps for one shot oilers on a conveyor I built.All I did was mount the pumps so the pump end was down and modified the resivoir tube so it used a radiator cap and neck for filling.They work great,no problems with pressure they put out 6,000 psi and cost a whopping $26 on sale.

Single shot tubing I use 1/8" copper tubing and compresion fittings.For an orifice 5/32" nylon beads shoved in the fittings bore and drilled to size work like champs.Last machine I did central lube on cost less than $40 total in materials.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X