Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Newbie? Threaded spindle mounts

Maybe a real dumb question, but here goes it:

My Clausing 49xx lathe has a 1 3/4"x8 thread on the spindle, and faceplates, chucks, etc. are real hard to find, so what is the likelihood of adapting a different mount that is more popular?

If you have a mill, or are good at layout, I would suggest you make a D1-3 or D1-4 adapter. Grizzly will probably sell you the locking pins and retaining screws. The holes and taper is well published, although I don't remember seeing the position of the camlock pins. But anybody with a D1 could measure it for you.

The D1 series chuck mounts are popular, and you can get many sizes, and varied quality chucks.

Comment

The threaded mounts are not unpopular, but different manufacturers used slightly different combinations. Threaded backplates are not difficult to make.

To go to the trouble to make an adaptor for a different system, while doable, would have little advantage, as it would still rely on the trheaded spindle. It would add overhang and be somewhat cumbersome. The time and expense of making a D mount would hardly be worth any minor benefit, and better spent in making good backplates to fit the spindle.
      Jim H.

Comment

I will echo JCHannum's comments as well.

Unmachined backplates are available for as little as $20. Not too hard to machine one to an exact fit for your lathe. If you haven't made one yet it would be a good project to expand your horizons. After all that's the beauty in having a lathe in the first place...you can make your own parts.

Have said that, if you still want a source of 1 3/4x8 tpi backplates try Grizzly, I believe their 10x22 and 11x26 lathes use the same spindle mount. There are also several other clones of the same type of lathe from other sources, the 1 3/4x8 mounts are becoming more popular.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

brockley1

If you are going the "make my own backplates route" do a three wire measurement on your spindle nose then make a master copy of it to use to check the internal threaded backplates. Saves you having to remove the chuck with backplate you are threading and trying it on the spindle nose. You don't want to take it out of the chuck to try it and have to rechuck it if it doesn't fit. You don't have to use steel, any easily threaded material will do for the master. Peter
          The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Spindle nose threads

Kenny...My Clausing 1248 has an LOO spindle nose. Yours is probably the same. If you know someone nearby that has an LOO back plate check it out. They are available and I have seen a bunch on various dealers web sites. They are still pretty popular and available.
            Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Gromax has them;
              http://www.gromaxonline.com/prod/php...Specifications

and if that's a bit rich for your blood, the Grizzly 11x26 lathe is that size as well.

sorry...didn't see Willy's post
              Last edited by QSIMDO; 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM.
              Len

Comment

Oops!!!

Eyes read message but brain didn't process. You said that the threads were on the spindle nose.....my bad.
                Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

I think I'd try to find parts to fit, or make appropriate backplates. How many do you need, anyway? Not many. Maybe 4: large and small faceplate, 3-jaw chuck, 4-jaw chuck.
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

ENCO sells a 6"x1" round of cast iron for $15. Definitely 3 wire your spindle and save the test stub. Did mine in Alu.

SP

Comment

Thanks to all that responded, and the Grizzly lead is one that I had not noticed in my searching...

But, most of you are correct-although you are to polite and gracious to say it this way:

Get off your *SS and learn how to make your own. Stop looking for store-bought solutions to your little problems!

There, I said it for all of you-and you are quite correct. I am going to order some blank from Enco and just do it.

Thanks again to all of you

Comment

One could also suggest, it will be just as easy to make a backplate as it would be to make an adapter, so why bother with an adapter?
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Kenny, 8 tpi's tough but the board got me thru it. Any questions along the way ......

SP

Comment

Working...
                          X