• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another track layer

We've all seen the Rip Saw-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_iup...eature=related

And then this one-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2_Rbnrx55w

I tripped over this one the otherday,looks like loads of fun and less work than the other two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPJ0G...eature=related
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Neat little machine, looks like fun.

Comment

Thanks alot--I just wasted an hour leapfrogging through about 50 of those videos Fun stuff!

Comment

Is it just me or does it look like they made the tracks out of old tires?
        James Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by jkilroy
          Is it just me or does it look like they made the tracks out of old tires?
          That's what I was wondering. And how did they cut the sidewall out?
          Gene

Comment

Cool , I should put it on the "To Do" list with everything else...LOL
            NRA member

Gun control is using both hands

Comment

Flying motorcycle-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anOxy...eature=related

Comment

Just wait, someone walks into the prop on that "motorcycle" and that guy will have all sorts of troubles. I wonder if a system to disengage the prop and transfer power to the wheels would make it too heavy to fly?

Originally posted by wierdscience
                Brett Jones...

Comment

Patented? Lots of luck!

Originally posted by wierdscience
                  It's called and "autogyro," IIRC, and they've been around since at least the '30s. Back in "olden days" there were at least a couple of adds in the back of magazines like Popular Mechanics for kits and/or plans to build these things.

For some reason they've never really caught on, probably due to a consiracy involving Sikorski et al. That's why we never hear about "black autogyros!" "They" have been keeping it secret! This guy will probably have an "accident" and that will be the end of it.

Comment

reminds me....

of some old WWII and pre-WWII Italian aromored vehicles... had that "personal" feel about it...

--jr
                    dvideo

Comment

As Gearedloco has said they have been around for ages.
                      There was a program on BBC about 10 or so years ago about 1 hour long about some mad inventor type who built these things.
                      Very interesting.

He lived and worked in a country type house and built these as a hobby. He was looking for a suitable engine that was flight certified, ie dual ignition, plugs etc but couldn't find one.
                      The nearest was the flat 4 Rolls engine.
                      He asked Rolls if the did a 2 cylinder version but the answer was no so he set to and hacksawed one in half and made good the modification, Rolls were not amused

His next problem was the propeller for the engine, so he set to laminated one and carved it by hand. When it was tested it was nearly a perfect shape !

As someone said the top rotors are not driven but free to turn, he got the take off down to a very short distance by driving the main rotors off the engine until it was airborn and then reached up and flicked the small drive belt off it's pulley.

A couple more interesting points were that these machines don't generate a down draught so they can over fly things like archaeological digs without disturbing the ground to get pictures of what may be under the soil.

They also shown some electrical driven ones that were tethered, flying surveillance over parking lots and shopping malls in the US. At fifty or so feet the electrical ones are completely silent and they showed then semi-hovering directly over two guys trying to steal a car. They needed the MKII to be equiped with mines

All in all it was a very interesting program, Cant see why the machine in the video needs to be that hight off the ground though ?

Could do with one round here for the traffic jams though

Last edited by John Stevenson; 02-18-2008, 03:46 AM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I'd like to know where they're getting the links for the tracked belts on the Ripsaw, and the other machine. Biggest belts I can find for this sort of application are for snowmobiles.

I'm not the first one to think of that either.

HTRN
                        EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Dunno about the RipSaw,but some of the others are using Bobcat and mini-excavator tracks.You can find them used at equipment actions sometimes cheap if the tread is worn bad.I figure get an old set and re-groove them.

I would like to see the steering clutches up close.

Comment

Originally posted by HTRN
                            I'd like to know where they're getting the links for the tracked belts on the Ripsaw, and the other machine. Biggest belts I can find for this sort of application are for snowmobiles.

HTRN
                            if you go to the howe and howe website, it states that they build the tracks themselves. along with most of the rest of the thing apparently.

andy b.
                            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Working...
                            X