Clausing lathe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clausing lathe question

We have a Clausing Colchester 15" geared head lathe that's been damaged. Here's the scenerio: an operator was turning a piece clamped only in the three jaw chuck. While trying to take too deep a 'bite' the piece popped out of the jaws and got hammered between the jaws and the ways for some seconds while the machine was operating at 470 rpm. An inspection has revealed that the gearing driving the headstock is intact and undamaged. Also the radial runout on the chuck itself is within .003 of true. Here's the kicker; when an accurate center is mounted in the tailstock and run up to an accurately indexed test piece in the headstock, the alignment of the two are off by nearly 3/32". Our best guess is that the entire headstock assy. has been shifted. Is this something we can remedy? Has anyone done such a procedure, and if so, can you give me a thumbnail outline of the process? That's the gist of my problem. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

The colchester triumph 2000 headstock can be realigned fairly easily, and is detailed in the manual.

I can scan you the page and email it to you.

Comment

Thistle,
      That would be hugely helpful. Get me at [email protected] . I'll let you know if we get it sorted out. Thanks a million. By the way, the "quick reply" box at the bottom of the screen says to "click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply". What 'quick reply' icons? I don't see any such thing.

Chuck
      Last edited by Gold Rock; 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM.

Comment

You can re align the head stock . Loosen the 4 hold down bolts and their are at least 2 jack bolts on the back side of the head stock at the back of the lathe.
        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

right next to where it says "quote" in the lower right corner of each message box, is an icon of a sheet of paper with a pen, click that and it allows you to write in the quick reply box on the bottom of the page.

Ken.

Comment

will scan it tommorrow-
            but any way there are 4 allen head bolts on the headstock , slacken,between the ways the headstock sits on there is a block with which the adjustment is made.
            the headstock pivotts on a dowel that should be on the right rear way- ie on the chuck side of things.

hope it helps

Comment

Thanks for the q.r. tip Ken. And Thistle and lane, grats for your input. I've relayed this to the owner (not my machine, I'm just the patternmaker here) and feel sure we can get this thing trued up and running again.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
              X