OK Boys. I need more info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK Boys. I need more info

Alright you guy's. Two responses to buying a used TIG welder? C'mon I know there are a ton of you that know these machines so lets have some opinions. I know everyone isn't a welder (nor am I for that matter) but when my fellow Canadian THRUD hasn't got any advice I know I haven't got my request across.
    Best to all. & thanks to the two guy's that replied.
    Chris

O.K. Many things I would buy used, welding equipment is not really one of them. Is there a Hydro certification for that unit and will it pass a test and inspection by a welding dealership? Are all of the connections and such things in good condion? Will the 10KV pot on the pole handle the load you may create and will your house stand the load?
    I bought a nice rebuilt stick welder from a dealer for 1/3 of the new price of a similar unit.

If you knew the prior owner, this maybe a different story. Plus I am looking for a TIG and a Plasma Cutter for my shop.

Jerry

Comment

I have Miller Econotig, it is a tig and stick machine. and I like it. I do wish I was able to convert it to mig, but can't be done so one day I will get small 110 volt mig machine.

------------------
      Paul G.
      Paul G.

Comment

The Lincoln 110 V machines are very good. Have a gas input location, but I use the flux wire.

I also have Miller MIG/Stick machine. Works good for what i do.

For TIG, buy Miller.
        CCBW, MAH

Comment

Paul, would a spool gun convert your machine? They sell piggy back conversions too.

I got a tig, presently dusty and hanging in the rafters. I got a lincoln 230vac mig and stickmate hobart ac/dc. Both work great.

I love the squarewave machines, now wish I had popped the extra cash outlay when I had it.

Comment

Okay now I feel bad or is it badley. Anyway I have an ESAB TIG machine with the air-cooled torch and it is a nice smooth machine, but it wasn't cheap and it has a really large footprint. I bought it new and I am the only one that uses it. I would be nervous about buying a used TIG machine unless I was sure of its history. I also have an ESAB 250 MIG machine. If it is quick and/or not too fussy I will MIG anything steel. But when I want it really nice and/or it is thin or aluminum or otherwise difficult then I get the TIG. The learning curve on the TIG is a lot steeper than MIG.
            So I guess the question is "What am I going to really use it for?" "How much am I really going to use it?" "How much money is there in the cookie jar?"
            Another random thought is--You can get the welders with either hand or foot controls as well as water and air cooled torches. So you need to analyze your projects for both position and expected length of welding time. Most of my stuff is small bench work type of welding so the air cooled torch and the foot controls work just fine.

Comment

Hve you contacted Tri County Welding Supplies?
              Their toll free number is 1-800-265-8277, they are located in Kitchener.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks Guy's. I knew I'd get some more info. My personal feeling with anything electrical is to try before you buy. based on the feedback I think I'll pass on the e-bay route and stick closer to home. I do have a Lincoln SP125 which I find great for most of my work (sheet metal repair to my Datsun Roadster). What I want it for is to do some aluminum & stainless exhaust pieces. I've tried an air cooled unit and was amazed at how fast the gun heated up! I'm trying to keep this under $3,000 Canadian turn key which is why I was going used but if you can't get parts for the machine anymore or if the parts are horifically expensive I'm not going in the right direction.
                Thanks again,
                Chris

Comment

I have a Miller syncrowave 250. I love it. I bought it new with tig runner. It cools the water cooled tourch. I always try to save money buying used and never make out well. I bought this new and have never regretted it. I did know how to tig before. If you have to learn try to take a class or two. It will speed the learning curve.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
                    So what sort of work do you do with your 250? I just watched a 300 go for $1,800 + shipping etc. I was of the mind that with the tech meltdown maybe some good machines would be out there for a song. It seems to be too big a gamble for me to buy a used m/c in California, freight it up, only to find something wrong with it thats going to cost BIG $$$. I've been around race car fab shops for years and just love the way a TIG can weld with a skilled operator. Do I really need one - no. Will I eventually get one - yes. That and a Super 7 for the small stuff. 'Bout the time my lotto comes in.

Cheers!
                    Chris

Comment

Hi Bob,

I purchsed a new Miller Syncrowave 250 with full Tig-runner gear a few months ago. Did some welding and took a class more years ago than I care to remember. Had not done any TIg welding though. Only last week did I fire the 250 up for the first time. After a few passes I was very impressed with the quality of the welds I could make. Cut up some 1/8 flat bar pieces for practice coupons and after a few welds realized that this was a fine instrument. A few more practice sessions with steel and I'll be ready to try aluminum and then my first practical application on one of my motorcycles. Can't wait. Not much is as pleasing as using a quality tool.

Allen

[This message has been edited by ralenr (edited 06-06-2003).]

Comment

Working...
                      X