OT Untwisting a Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Untwisting a Frame

I didn't use a machine tool on this so I called it OT, but some of you guys might be interested in what I had to do to straighten out the frame on my Grandson's Chinese Modified. I'd never straightened a frame before and at 1st the Porta Power was moving it every which way but the one I wanted! So eventually I figured out I had to strap, bolt, and chain whatever wasn't bent into place .... and then it did the job. Here's the final set up.

The lower frame rails are out because I'm converting to footpegs from an ATC90. That'll allow me to get a foot operated brake on it too. The rear triangulation is new and I'll be adding some tubes to triangulate the front suspension also. Didja notice the Chinese designed untriangulated upper frame rails? What is that? A crumple zone?

Just like machine tools when it comes from China you have to regard it as nothing more than a set of parts to work with ....

SP

SP.. you are a man after my own heart! I actually make a lot of money doing weird stuff like that.
    My "straightening arsenal" includes hydraulic jacks, automotive scissor jacks, come-alongs, the 8000 pound winch on my truck, lots of heavy chains, O/A torches, a 10 foot long 6"X10" I beam that I slide under truck frames, chain pockets in the concrete floor and of course the welders.
    I straighten snow plows, motorsikkle/quad frames, snowmobile bulkheads, truck/car frames, dump truck tailgates, bobcat/ backhoe buckets and on and on.
    A tight chain run over the top of a 20 ton jack...there isn't much that I can't shove back into some kind of shape.
    Don't try this at home! Very bloody dangerous way of working. I've had things break, chains go flying, jacks fly across the shop etc. You gotta know where to stand
    You also have to send the gurl to the house for a coffee break when you're doing this. She gets too nervous working around the pinging chains and snapping metal. (She mentioned something about she didn't want to clean up the mess when a chain cuts my head off)
    I have one of those china "dunebuggies" in my toy stock. What a piece of crap. It's brand new. Has about 2 hours on it. The motor is shot(piston hanging out the bottom), the seat is broken out of it and the front shocks broke right off at the poor aluminum castings.
    That'll be a nice machine once you get rid of all the china stuff and replace it all with Honda or ...
    I'm getting more and more of the china stuff in my wrecking yard. Also have a ton of customers come in for parts for them. I usually try to match up a brand name part if it'll fit.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Well you're miles ahead of me Russ! I'm still at the grasshopper stage but it gives a Grandpa something to do .....

SP

Comment

Oh yeah! Used to have a whole arsenal of jacks, floorjacks, comealongs, high lifts, regular old bumper jacks, and mixed chunks of I beam. With those and a few chains I could straighten nearly anything

You'd be surprised at how many people can't figure out where something will bend with a jack and cain.

I try to stay away from Chinese vehicles, seen to many 'safe' things fail unexpectadly to trust something I'll be driving or riding.

Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall

You'd be surprised at how many people can't figure out where something will bend with a jack and chain.

Ken.
          Yeah, I'm one of those! Just sticking the Porta Power in there was no help at all ...

SP

Comment

SP... Sorry.. I didn't mean to completely knock the china stuff. I mean.. for what you pay for a new unit... come on! You couldn't even build one out of used parts for that.
            I do have customers come in that have good luck with some of those machines. Believe it or not... the best ones I've seen so far are the ones Walmart sells. Their little quads are a pretty darn nice unit.

Comment

No offense Russ and you're right, it's cheap! 1/3 the price of Japanese but due to previous suspension mods it'll already put the whup on any 50cc quad Japan has to offer. So far I've cut up an aftermarket pipe intended for a Honda CRF50 to help the motor out, but we'll do more as he gets older. He uses all it's got so we'll go slow in the motor dept.

As far as 2 wheelers go I'm with Kendall. We're surprising him with an 02 model Honda XR50 on his B-day. Found it on E-Bay and it's one those that someone bought and never rode. Still got nibs on the tires and I feel kinda sorry for it. It's gonna get all tore up now!

SP

Comment

SP, the XR50... good choice! The smallish Honda XR's are my best seller. Even 20 year old ones still hold their value.
                Years ago if it wasn't a two stroke you where a nobody.
                Today I have trouble getting rid of them. If it isn't a four cycle they don't want them. And the XR's are the top of the heap.
                I can sell a clapped out old 80's XR80 for about $700 to $900.
                I have two spotless two stroke 80's that nobody wants for $600 each. Have a REALLY nice Yamaha R/T 100 for $650... again... nobody wants it.
                Kind of a shame. The old two stroke is dying I'm afraid. Oh well... all the more for me I guess. I love them ol' smokers.
                Russ

Comment

The same tricks are used on bigger things too.

Comment

Working...
                  X