Last word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last word

I can't help it this time but I just had a really good laugh.

This quote from our new member, CaptainEqs is what did it.

He tries to prove his point with a book published in 1953 (a time when most aircraft then in the air were made with FABRIC and WOOD), then he disputes the very same company which wrote that book when they list 6061 as an "aerospace aluminum" on their website.
    I guess that pretty well settles how much he knows about aircraft, never mind what they are built with.

That is my last word.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Yea. Remembering WW II very well I had to laugh at that too.
    ...lew...

Comment

Who cares if the HSM typically learns that some 2xxx and 7xxx aluminums might be referred to as "aircraft aluminum," regardless of what some parts of planes are made out of.

I want to know what is considered "aircraft wood".

Edit: Actually, aircraft fabric is probably more interesting nowadays. I saw something that said the plane upholstery industry is extremely cut-throat, since weight savings can be tremendous.
      Last edited by Ryobiguy; 02-18-2008, 12:58 PM.

Comment

...............never mind, I really don't wanna' go there....................................
        Last edited by smiller6912; 02-18-2008, 02:58 PM.
        "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"...aircraft wood.." ?
          Well if the name of Howard Hughes' experimental plane is an indication, it must be spruce.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

You opened a whole new thread after Neill locked the last one, just so you could get the Last Word?
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Of course he did,How long have you been here?

It's nothing I wouldn't have done.

But While we are on the subject of IDIOTS, I am subbing today for another teacher who I do respect.
              Keep in mind this is getting to wards the end of the quarter, He has been in a beginning Machine shop class for 8 weeks, 2 days per week, 3 hours per day.

And he still couldn't read a caliper!

Till today, I took Him aside and we did caliper training for 2 hours,Man was he pissed he couldn't work on a machine.

Comment

Deleted. Never mind, probably a good one to stay out of.
                Last edited by rantbot; 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM.

Comment

How can a guy last 8 weeks in a machine shop course and not read the calipers? Seems it would be hard to complete any projects.

Comment

In the later '30's "aircraft wood" was a serious concern and carefully written standard were promulgated. Wood and fabric control surfaces in military airplanes were present even after WW II. The EEA in Oshkosh WI is a repositiry for this old lore. Lumber for aircraft construction is carefully selected for species, grain orientation, dryness, etc. Aircraft plywood is in a class by itself rivaling aluminum for strength to weight as a finished structure.

One only has to consider the famous mosquito bomber of WW II capable of near sonic velocities in a dive and it was of all plywood construction. Since it was mostly wood, radars of the era could not detect it except as close range.

Materials have improved over the years but no-one should scoff at the original composite - wood - as antiquated and obsolete. It merely has properties that render it unsuitable for modern aircraft construction: heat tolerance, fire hazard, water absorbtion, and rot and fungus susceptability. And it grows on trees whicjh are self re-producing. Aluminum and carbon fiber have to undergo considerable refienment from raw materials before they are ready for manufacture.
                    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 02-18-2008, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I make all my planes from paper.

Comment

...probably paper made from spruce trees.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

The Spruce Goose was made from Birch. Gary P. Hansen
                          In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

And a lot of Plywood, may be some spruce in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                              One only has to consider the famous mosquito bomber of WW II capable of near sonic velocities in a dive and it was of all plywood construction. Since it was mostly wood, radars of the era could not detect it except as close range.

Most radar's today would still have trouble seeing them, if not more trouble. Modern stealth aircraft can be seen better by older obsolete radars, they tend to use longer wavelenghts.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X