Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this all there is?

hi again been a while
    after reading over a lot of the posts and especially lanes i felt a little better about posting my own.i am a welder at work and i fill in in the machine shop when needed,manual machines only.ill be 52 next month and i still dont know what i want to be when i grow up!4yrs welding 20 plus driving truck and construction when i was younger!i dont want to do it anymore,i like it as a hobby.kind of tired of getting all grubby every day,but dont have any idea what to do.it got bad enough to go to the doc and she put me on anti depressants.they havent started to work yet so i dont want to make any rash decisions but wish i could just take a year off and figure it out.sorry to be so negetive just wondering if anybody has been here and if so what did you end up doing? thanks i will go cry in my coffee now.

Pretty much the story of my life.

My high school counselors taught me that I should choose an occupation that I enjoyed. I was naive enough to believe them.

I enjoyed being a student, so I tried to be a teacher. I hated the politics of public schools.

I enjoyed tinkering with motorcycles, so I worked as a mechanic for a while. When I had to do it day after day after day, I hated it.

I enjoyed math and problem solving, so I tried being an engineer. On the rare occasions that I actually got to use my training, it was very satisfying, but mostly I went to meetings and did paperwork and made phone calls, and I hated it

It took me a long time to figure out that work is supposed to be unpleasant -- that's why they have to pay you to do it.

I do enjoy some aspects of my job, and I take pride in it when a project turns out well, but the bottom line is, I wouldn't do it full time unless I had to make a living. And I am now comfortable with that. Yes, that may be all there is.

All I ask from work now is that I am capable of doing it, and that I don't have to lie or play games. And if I can find time to pursue hobbies and spend time with friends and family, that's about as good as it's going to get.

Don't expect your job to supply you with happiness. You may have to find happiness on your own, and it can be darned tough.

Comment

Oh, yeah. One day work became....work. I wondered what else I could do that wouldn't seem so much like work, never did come up with anything. These days, "meaning" in life comes a lot more from interactions with friends and family and community service than from a job.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I guess we all understand there's a reason they pay us to be there ! I wanted to be a photographer. I spent half my life standing outside court rooms and homicide scenes waiting for interviews. Be careful what you wish for. I had more fun engraving guns till I found out I could make money at it. I raised the family for 2 years with a hammer and chisel and it got to be work!
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

all there is

thanks you guys for the response,hope i didnt bring anybody down.its just gotten very hard to get interested in any of my hobbies or work(doc says its depression)guess iwas just wondering how many here have decided to make a complete change in their career and if it worked out. thanks again

Comment

antidepressants take a bit of time to kick in. i too am on them for about 7 years now. im 66 and suppose to be retired but being self employed that will most likely never happen. i have been in the tool repair / sales / industrial supply business for nearly 25 years working out of my "summer kitchen" building that was built just after wwII on this farm. prior to that i was a mfg. supt' for 15 yrs and that made me lots of mechanical operations experience but took a toll on the family. being the only lamppost in the dog kennel does that. prior to that i was in the mechanical eng'r field and liked that but my a.d.d. did not let me concentrate like i needed to do.

there are so many many things a mechanical minded person can do to make a living, as a self employed person. . . . . i wils i could start over again but so do most of us at my age.

starting over at 52 is difficult but not impossible at all. usually your $$$$ requirments are far less than they were at say 35 or so, the kids are hopefully grown and gone or at least damn close and wisdom dictates just how little ya need to be happy.

i have been a tinkerer for all my life, never having any money to buy the nice tools a fella should have until i was over 50 and now i can't seem to find the energy to tinker after fixing tools and stuff for other people all day. its easier in the summer but in the cold dark of winter i don;t want to even walk out to the heated machine shop or work shop after supper.

so anyway, keep the faith. better days will come. and when all is said and done, hopefully the widow will have a hell of an auction !

davidh

Comment

Pretty much, I've come to the conclusion that regardless of your income level, everyone is broke...just on different levels. I've lived long enough to have had some money, and I've been dead broke. I've survived both. I can honestly say that I was no happier when I had money than I am now that I'm on fixed income. I no longer feel driven to succeed... and that makes it easier to accept things. When I felt as though I was being pushed to be successful and have a great income, was the worse time of my life. I'm more relaxed now, and I'm more successful than I've ever been....so go figure.
              Nobody ever said that life was easy or fair. It is what it is.
              There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

It sounds like it must be mid-winter-depression time again............
                I futzed with a stuck cam on a D1-4 for 2 hours yesterday and that was about enough shop for me. I spent the rest of the day lookin' at nekked pix on the interweb, that cheered me up a little.
                "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Welcome to the club Shoprat!

Three years ago I did the same thing...antidepressants/medication/smoke 2 packs a day/pot of coffee...and that was all BEFORE going to work.

Ok, the 2 packs of cigs were spread out, but about 8 of them were before work.

I quit my job making good good money and took a job making 6 bucks an hour. Spent more time fishing.

I was happy as a clam for two years...then something happened again. Namely, I quit fishing as much...but now I'm back on the antidpressants, back on the coffee, at least I quit the smokes.

My point...sometimes it's not the job, but it's something in you. Quitting the job may make the stress go away, but you didn't learn to deal with it, so it's likely you are going to end up in the same location in a few years.

I suggest a good therapist, the drugs and a fishing pole on the evenings.

Comment

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time. Although I also spent 18 years in a school system, I still liked the work that I did, electical/hvac, and either taking or teaching at nite school. As long as I was able to find it challenging I was ok. I quit last july, and now I am doing a whole lot of things, the money is slack right now, but I have to say I am more satisfied and happier than I have been in a long time. Just getting rid of the stress of the job was a big help. I am starting (again) my electrical/hvac business, and am adding blacksmithing and violin making, things that I have been fooling with but not having the time to do for the last 20 some years. I have come to the conclusion that its is not the money, or where you are, but how you are looking at it. Not a new idea I know. It seems that if I am going in the right direction things seem to work out pretty well. The old adage of being true to yourself does apply IMO. I always wanted to see what a lathe was like and I decided to look into seriously and in two weeks I had one, now I have a line on a milling machine. I wish I could give you a formula that I used to get here but I don' know how it all happened really. I don't worry about what is going to happen in two weeks, and try to avoid thinking about things that don't add to my feeling good. I know I can make money if I have to, and I am not afraid to work so why should I be worried aobut money all the time? But It still sneaks in now and then. I also have been through bouts of depression, and in the end I think somehow I figured out what was really making me depressed, not what It seemed to be at the time (money,love,bad luck etc.) I know this not all that well put and a bit disorganized. I wish you luck in finding out what brings you happiness.

Comment

brockley1

I hope I don't come across as a polyanna type but I have always looked forward to each day as a new adventure.I spent most of my work years in the Alberta oil patch and even when I knew there were 100 2"-2400 flanges waiting for me to machine on the Herbert 9B30 I would still anticipate the day. Sometimes I would be sent out into the patch to do some millwright work or thread some drill collars, you never knew what would come up. After 10 years of that I went to U of A and went on to teach machine shop in a high school. Again, each new day was anticipated with pleasure. Most of my students are in a trade of some sort but most are machinists. Some own their own shops, some are in charge of large shops in the oilpatch. and one is supervising three shops. one in Alberta, one in Huston Texas and one in Mexico. My boys have really done themselves proud.. I still anticipate each day. Remember, attitude is everything, you can choose how you live each day, when it's gone, it's gone forever. We only have a finite number of days given to us. It is up to us how we approach each one, our choice. We can say "Tomorrow will be better" but today is yesterday's tomorrow. ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. Peter
                      Last edited by Oldbrock; 02-18-2008, 05:41 PM.
                      The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

brockley1

thought I'd lost it so posted it again. remember, I'm a machinist first.
                        Last edited by Oldbrock; 02-18-2008, 05:47 PM.
                        The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

I`m Sorry I made every one feel bad. I do like my job but it like all jobs suck.
                          Been their done that.
                          The one thing I DO know is you need a Challenge. That in its self makes work more pleasant. Take on a challenge that will help. for sure.
                          Last edited by lane; 02-18-2008, 09:31 PM.
                          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Discipline

I'd suggest that "discipline" is a large component of cause.

When you are working for an employer or yourself in business, you have plenty of incentives to "get going and keep going" as to do otherwise can be a disaster.

The "boss" and the "business" do not only give you "incentives", but also instill a level of discipline - either "self" and/or "imposed" because of a potential loss and adverse consequences.

When you retire, you have to develop and maintain a good level of self discipline.

That's perhaps bad enough - but the alternative is much worse.

How many people have you seen or know that were really good when discipline was imposed on them and their day was organised for them by others, but just "faded away" in seemingly no time at all after they had retired?

If you get the feeling or attitude that you are just "filling in time" or "taking up space", or if you "drop your bundle" you have real problems and might well be "history" unless you adjust your attitude - or have it adjusted for you.

Comment

Shoprat, been there. My career has run the gauntlet, from company president to the street, and in between. Severe depression, thoughts of suicide,psychiatrists,family, friends,searching for " THE ANSWER". Well I finally found it. It was inside of me all along. Happiness is waking up each day. It's not a job, money, things or people. Look inside yourself. Do you like what you see? Yes, then you are ALMOST THERE. No, then decide to make some changes. YOU have to want it and YOU have to do it.
                              Each day you must look for the good things. They are all around you. A smile, a flower,sunrise,storm clouds, a kind word...........
                              When people ask" how are you doing" my answer is " I am doing great cause I woke up this morning and everything else is just gravy."
                              Hope you find something useful in this old man's rambling.
                              Mike Broach

Comment

Working...
                              X