X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed. What would you do?

Hey guys,
    I'm in career-choice dilema.
    I was offered a job with the Air Force, on base, as a civilian machinist.
    Here's the poop:
    A) Currently working for a production shop.
    Good Side: Making about 57,000 per year. Easy work. Basically my own boss. I've been there 10 years. 3 weeks paid vacation.
    Bad Side: TERRIBLE Health Insurance plan for my family. Poor management. Broken-down machines. No tooling. Disorganized. No future. I've stopped learning new things.
    B) Job opening with the Air Force.
    Good Side: Pay increase. Health Insurance for my family. Ability to transfer to other cities. Full Retirement benefits. Permanent employment.
    Bad Side: The unknown..??? Risk of losing my current cushy job. Asshole Boss??
    Sheesh....
    Decisions, Decisions.
    What would you do?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Got Kids?

Jump on the health insurance

Comment

I agree with Joefin, go with the insurance. You don't know about the boss good or bad. Besides, couldn't you use more money?

Comment

Agree, insurance trumps most other things, better pay is a bonus, and learning new things is always good.

Besides, you can always punch the boss.

Ken.

Comment

"permanent"?

Maybe........ at least until the next BRAC cycle. Then you may be looking at a relocation to keep your "permanent" job......

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Insurance or not, that's a no brainer. My sister just retired from civil service after 31 years. Her last 25+ years was with the Air Force and you couldn't ask for a better bunch. In Colorado Springs no less. The only problems I see is mostly political tug-a-war on base closings vs. build-up. But once you're in there's a lot of places to go. And unless there's some total annihilation of the US, retirees get a steady income. That's far from guaranteed with a corporation or company; even when it's your money in the fund.

Comment

Kidd: I spent 30 years as an AF civilian. Excellent retirement, and insurance.
              Good jobs whereever I wanted to go. Just had to pick my time for the transfer.
              Moved to management when I found out that pushing paper pays a lot more.
              John Burchett
              in Byng OK
              John Burchett
              in Byng OK

Comment

brockley1

Jump ship now. The health insurance alone should be enough incentive, more pay and pension. I see only one desenting vote. Go for it.Peter
                Last edited by Oldbrock; 02-21-2008, 02:59 AM.
                The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

It's funny how familiarity can hold us back much like the little string on an elephants two legs. Fear of the unknown is a powerful force, even when the unknown is utopia. If you don't take a step to try and improve your situation you can always spend a lifetime asking yourself what if? Go for it. Desire and ambition will take you places fear could never get for you.

Once read that worry, fear, anger, guilt and vengeance are the 5 debilitating emotions. Just knowing that can make quite a difference in ones life. Good luck.
                  Last edited by Your Old Dog; 02-21-2008, 07:28 AM.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Take the AF job.,... I've been a civilian for the Army for 20 years.... I do know that if someone has any type of police/legal penalties/incarceration, that AFTER the background check is complete they will be let go or if they find out prior to hiring they will not be hired....

Comment

Originally posted by brockley1
                      I see only one desenting vote.
                      That's funny, I don't see ANY dissenting votes...... my neighbor is a purchasing agent at Scott AFB......

BRAC is the only big thing that stands as a hazard. That is a few less than in commercial (aka "productive") employment.

My point was that "permanent" may not be what it seems.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

It's insane that the kind and quality of your health insurance depends on who you work for.

But I'd agree; the AF job looks better. Even if you get caught by a base closing, there's something like a 3-year lead time between the announcement and the actual event, which would give quite a bit of time to figure out something else to do, if need be.
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Good Side: Pay increase. Health Insurance for my family. Ability to transfer to other cities. Full Retirement benefits. Permanent employment.
                          I would challenge you on any place offering 'permanent employment' but if you mean 'as stable as any other place' then that's ok. Are you young enough to qualify for the pension?

Bad Side: The unknown..???
                          You could win the lottery or get hit by a meteorite tomorrow. Don't worry about things you can't control.

From the information you posted, this is a complete no-brainer. The downside is you'll have to learn to do things the AF way, and you might actually get told what to do or how to do it. That's called being an employee!

I keep expecting Bill Murray to pop up and say, "Is this a trick question!" (a la Ghostbusters)

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
                            It's insane that the kind and quality of your health insurance depends on who you work for.
                            Ain't that the truth? Here it's the same for car insurance, house insurance and pet insurance. It all depends on who you work for and how much you're willing to pay. It's getting harder and harder to get something for nothing.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I concur with the others. You'll really appreciate the importance of good health insurance when it is needed. Believe me.
                              "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

Working...
                              X