Another Newbie question - dial indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Newbie question - dial indicator

Is there anything online on how to set up & use a dial indicator - this would be for use on a lathe.
    Thanks.
    Vic
    Redlands, CA

Vic, does this page help:

http://www.cartertools.com/fourjaw.html

Best,

BW
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Bob posted a good page on set up. It really boils down to buying a good magnetic base and dial indicator and using common sense.

When I am dialing in a shaft in a four jaw I mount the base on the carriage and then I can dial it by the chuck and move to the outer end and dial it in. You will have to do each end several times to get it perfectly straight.

You have to be creative to use the dial indicator on some jobs. You have to plan the whole job before you start cutting so you don't machine your self into a corner and can't finish the job.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

I've got a short DTI mounting arm (from a cheap mag base that came with other stuff) mounted in one of my QC holders. I just pop it on the tool post and it's ready to go.
        Russ
        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Setups I use for OD and ID. Toolholder block has a morris taper through. Just turned a stub to fit in it with a threaded hole in end (10-32?) to hold indicator. Easy to set on centerline height. I have a newer better indicator so Ijust leave this set up in one of the two comfigurations, ready to go.

I'm just a novice so decide for yourself if will work for your application. Good luck.

Comment

Where do you find Morris Taper tooling? I have never seen any in any of the tool catalogs.

Comment

You have to do the morris dance.

Sorry. not fair, we DO know what was meant..............

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by ulav8r
                Where do you find Morris Taper tooling? I have never seen any in any of the tool catalogs.
                MT would be a way to mount a drill chuck on your QCTP, which can be handy.

Here is what sounds to me like The World's best Way to Set Up a 4-Jaw Chuck. The technique requires no more than 2 revolutions of the chuck, and is performed as follows:

1. After rough aligning to the chuck rings, using a dial indicator on the work-piece, rotate the spindle through one complete revolution noting the highest and lowest indicator readings;

2. Continue rotating the spindle and halt at exactly Midway between the above two readings, then zero the indicator bezel to the needle;

3. Rotate the spindle to bring jaw #1 ‘on plunger’ and adjust jaws #1 and #3 to re-zero the indicator; finally

4. Rotate the spindle 90 degrees and adjust jaws #2 and #4 to zero the indicator once again.

This is one of those things where I read it, it made total sense, it was elegant, and it made me feel stupid for not having thought of it myself.

what sounds to me like The World's best Way to Set Up a 4-Jaw Chuck. The technique requires no more than 2 revolutions of the chuck, and is performed as follows:

1. After rough aligning to the chuck rings, using a dial indicator on the work-piece, rotate the spindle through one complete revolution noting the highest and lowest indicator readings;

2. Continue rotating the spindle and halt at exactly Midway between the above two readings, then zero the indicator bezel to the needle;

3. Rotate the spindle to bring jaw #1 ‘on plunger’ and adjust jaws #1 and #3 to re-zero the indicator; finally

4. Rotate the spindle 90 degrees and adjust jaws #2 and #4 to zero the indicator once again.

This is one of those things where I read it, it made total sense, it was elegant, and it made me feel stupid for not having thought of it myself. It has worked really well for me.

I learned it from a post right on this board by Jack Burns:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=22535

Jack, if you read this, thanks very much for the tip!

Cheers,

BW
                ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Morris tool holder.
                  http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/637

Comment

O.K., I'm an idiot. About 10 seconds after posting up I thought of another phrase to use (my previous 20 or so obviously sucked) for googling, plugged it in and got some good information.
                    What I received here was better though. Thanks so much for clearing the fog from an uninformed mind.
                    To further demonstrate my "uninformedness," Gkman, or anyone else, what is being measured or determined in the second pic you posted? And thanks for both of them. They really help. Thanks again, everyone.

Kind regards,

Vic
                    Redlands, CA

Comment

That's generally what I do. It is helpful to have two "wrenches" for the chuck because you can move the jaws simultaneously. Think about holding a pencil between your two index fingertips. As you move one the other can follow.
                      This took the mystery completely out of the 4-Jaw for me.

Comment

That second picture is using a transfer bar to measure runout on an ID that is too small (or to far into) to get to otherwise.
                        Russ
                        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by GKman

Erm ... morse?

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
                            Erm ... morse?
                            OK Morse. Do i get redeemed for calling metal chisels COLE chisels instead of COLD (burrr...) chisels?

Comment

GKman, they are teasing you for your spelling,it is Morse,not Morris!

Comment

Working...
                              X