Anyone got an Atmos clock ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got an Atmos clock ?

I'm thinking of buying a second hand Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos clock, have always been intrigued with them, perpetual motion almost. Any advice as to whether they are reliable or just a curio to talk to friends about when they visit ? Would be good to hear from someone who has one. David
    Last edited by David S Newman; 02-23-2008, 04:01 PM.

I have one (20 years service with TI) so it is now 20 years old. Hasn't skipped a beat and I have never had it "serviced". Still find the way it works to be most interesting.

It gains a little in the winter and slows a bit in the summer - maybe a minute in a month. I put in down to the larger temp differential in the winter as we have an overnight setback of 5 degrees C on the thermostat.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by ammcoman2
      I have one (20 years service with TI) so it is now 20 years old. Hasn't skipped a beat and I have never had it "serviced". Still find the way it works to be most interesting.

It gains a little in the winter and slows a bit in the summer - maybe a minute in a month. I put in down to the larger temp differential in the winter as we have an overnight setback of 5 degrees C on the thermostat.

Geoff
      check your private message folder.....
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Sounds interesting, can you explain what they are and how they work
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

The Atmos clock was an effort to make a self winding torsion suspension clock. (think 400 day movement "anniversary" clock.)
          They used minute changes in pressure and temperature as teh source of energy to keep the clock running.
          They minimized friction in anyway that they could.
          Hence very delicate and special handling required,
          Liquid mercury was used in some of the "motor mechanisms" etc etc.
          Think pricey. Think notably steady hands.
          Think, shiping difficulties without careful preparation.

Very reliable, IF you you or your service person knows how to handle their needs, and appropriately set them up.

Here is the place to read >> http://nawcc-mb.com/
          (punch the button for 400 day.)

Here is one of the few places that works on them commercially >>
          http://www.nawcc-mb.com/bbv2/bbBoard...elcome%2Eshtml

This URL also offers a page of instructions for the Atmos.

I keep a series of antique clocks running.
          If you will allow the humor, my kids are just now old enough to trust around an Atmos, the youngest is 37.

Nice clocks.
          edited to improve description of power source
          Ag
          Last edited by agrip; 02-24-2008, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks Agrip, just when you think that the only time pieces left have batteries in them, there is a pleasant surprise.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I have one. The company I worked for in another life gave them away as service awards. We had problems with them working correctly. The one I have hasn't worked correctly for years. It will slow and then stop, but it looks nice! A few were "repaired" at local clock shops in the Portland area but never worked correctly. Maybe Oregon no longer has pressure change! We are trying hard to screw up everything else!

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I today have agreed to buy one from the executor of a will , it was presented to his uncle in 1971 on retirement, and laid in the bottom of his wardrobe still boxed ever since. Lets hope it works collect it Friday will let you know, got it for £250. David

Comment

Working...
                X