Engineering convertor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering convertor

Anyone have any good links to engineering convertors, preferably stand alone ones as I'm not always able to get I-net eccess when out.

I have tried Convert by Josh Madison and Uconeer but they are not written by engineers and use terms like cm / sec and such.

Only the BBC and dress makers use centimeterers.
    Engineers use millimeters up to 1000 then meters.

Main ones I use are oz/in to N/cm

and in/min to mm/min

These seem to be missing from the common programs.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

This maybe

John,
    If you open Convert, click on options, then preferences, then the custom tab, you can enter any unit with any conversion factor. The custom section must be ticked in the tabs section of preferences.

Comment

Thanks but unless I'm missing something it only allows one conversion in the custom box.?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Not so, change the index part on the custom tab to 1, 2, 3, etc. up to 18 if needed.

Comment

Brilliant,
          Many thanks, prooves you learn something new every day.

Comment

try this one
            http://www.pwr-tools.com/
            please visit my webpage:
            http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by motorworks
              Now if only they offered that in a palm version i would be set!

Comment

Just about anything to everything.
                http://www.onlineconversion.com/

One that I just saw,
                http://www.calculatoredge.com/
                Never used it, but it looks interesting.

Dave

Comment

How about solid state: no betteries plus one moving part: a slide rule. Don't forget the decilmal point.

I still use mine for dozen of things.
                  Last edited by Forrest Addy; 02-23-2008, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                    How about solid state: no betteries plus one moving part: a slide rule. Don't forget the decilmal point.

Forrest,

While I have heard stories of some that are faster with a slide rule, I'm not a true believer. And Yes, I still have my slide rule from the mid sixties.

But, there is NO WAY I will set a sine bar from a slide rule, if it needs to be right.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by sconisbee
                      Now if only they offered that in a palm version i would be set!
                      Have you tried MathU Pro from Creative Creek? A programmable Palm calculator so you can make up what you need. The last place I worked I set up and used psi/gpm/hp calculator. Whichever two contraints you had it would give you the third. Furlongs per fortnight? Didn't need it, but it could have been done.

Jan
                      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions lads but I'll be sticking with Josh Madisons Convert for a few reasons, it's free, stand alone, can be customised and yes Forrest I still have a slide rule plus many calculators but these are only as good as knowing the conversion factor in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                          How about solid state: no batteries plus one moving part: a slide rule. Don't forget the decimal point.

Mine must be old-fashioned, it has two moving parts

Tim

Comment

TGTool: that looks pretty cool, ill have to try it out just as soon as i re-find the palm lost it last week cant find it anywhere! , theres a couple of other machinest/engineer related palm programs out there but they just arn't that intuative to use, one of these days ill get around to finishing my program but i keep putting it off

Edit: Oh yea sorry bout the partial hi-jack!

Comment

John, this may fill the bill
                              http://versaverter.en.softonic.com/
                              Just got my head together
                              now my body's falling apart

Comment

Working...
                              X