picked up that mill today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• picked up that mill today

here are some picks. the lever to engage the auto feed is broken. On the second photo there is a hole that seems like it should have something either coming out of it or covering it, above the chrome hand wheel , for changing the feed speed gears.. Its a little stiff but things work, did some rough milling on it.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...bllc/mill2.jpg

that hole is for when you push the over-arm back...when mouting a shorter arbour ...or just milling with a stub arbour .... ...it comes out the back

all the best.mark
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-23-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

is that how you use the big mills that attach to the screw at the (right end on the machine facing the picture)? I got some big mills with it that look like the screw on the end but it looked like they would be stuck way out there and not enough support.

Comment

I wouldn't put anything more than 6 inches diameter on that mill

the big mills larger than 6 inches are for bigger machines.

the screw thread ones may be hobs ...for cutting gears
        you will have to show us some pics of them

nah forget the last sentence ...im misunder standing you ...

to put cutters in the mill without the arbour you may need a draw bar.

a draw bar is a long bar with a nut at one end and a thread at the other ...
        it passes down the spindle of the machine ...screws into the collet chucks...that are inserted into the taper you have there when the long arbor is removed.
        ...eg ... collet chucks are 30 international or morse taper ones.

and look like this ..30 international are shown in picture.

these are for holding endmills ..
        the one in the middle is a morse adaptor ..

you can also get them with a Norton dead lock thingy ...you can hold large cutters with these ...over one inch in diameter .

here you can see a deadlock chuck with cutter mounted ...think the guys mixed up ...calling it clarkson ...which is yet another system

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clarkson-Deadl...QQcmdZViewItem

all the best.markj
        Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-23-2008, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The drawbar is in your mill now. It is at the opposite end of the arbor with the square head on it. It is being used to hold your arbor in. The threads on the drawbar are 3/8-16 and the taper is morse #2. They make end mill holders and shell mill holders with that taper. I personally would not run a cutter over the diameter of 4" on an atlas MFB. They are good mills for what they were designed for, but light duty is the key. You can do a lot of milling, it just takes longer. Have fun, Jay
          "Just build it and be done"

Comment

brockley1

Hey, good score Kevin, it would be great if you can find either a vertical or universal head for it. My little limey mill is a horizontal, but I also have a vertical head for it and use it most of the time. Keep your eyes peeled, maybe one will jump out of the bushes. Have fun staying out of the kitchen, Peter
            The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

I'm drowning in drool here!!

Guess you won't have any trouble making that T nut for the QC toolpost now!!!

CT2

Comment

thanks, I will get a pic of all the tooling that came with it, I will need some help on IDing the tools. I am going out right now, the sun should have warmed the shop up a bit!

Comment

well here is the picks of the tools. I guess a lot of them are not for this mill.

Comment

see them long things with multple cutters on them

they are broaches ...used for making keyways etc ...
                    clean them up ...and they will fetch a fortune on ebay ...may even pay for your machine ..

EDIT

just looked at ebay.....i was thinking jlindustrial prices ...and second hand would be expensive ................

they are cheap "new " on ebay ...

all the best.markj
                    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 02-24-2008, 07:29 PM.

Comment

look out for these on american ebay

they will get you started

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2MT-MILLING-AR...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ER25-MT2-3-8-C...QQcmdZViewItem

also you need er25 collets to go with the chuck

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                        see them long things with multple cutters on them

they are broaches ...used for making keyways etc ...
                        clean them up ...and they will fetch a fortune on ebay ...may even pay for your machine ..

EDIT

just looked at ebay.....i was thinking jlindustrial prices ...and second hand would be expensive ................

they are cheap "new " on ebay ...

all the best.markj

thanks for the heads up, they are old probably from the 60's or so, definitely not imports. Is there a special machine that uses them?

Comment

they are for a machine with a turrete head...like a bridgeport and a lever operated quill.

all the best.markj

Comment

thanks for the help epsilon, I guess you could use them minimally in a drill press?

Comment

They are old probably from the 60's or so, The 60`s aren't old that was just yesterday. You want old try the 30`s.
                              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X