No announcement yet.

My new lathe, anyone have this one too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new lathe, anyone have this one too?

Got a new lathe of recent http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1236.html and just wondering if anyone else has one. So far been pretty impressed other than with my electrician who wired my garage screwed up my outlets but thats all straight and now its running good, but had a question on the footbrake. when I step on it, machine stops, but when I let up, it does not start till I put the spindle lever back to stop then to run again. On ones at work when I let off the brake the spindle starts right up again. Its a lot faster if it starts right up again so maybe somethin is wrong?
    I may call the place I boguht it from to ask but I chewed them out talking to one guy on his cell phone on last Sunday so bad that they may not talk to me again. Chewed them out when it wasnt even their fault at all, but I even sent a card I felt so bad.
    I ordered this one I bought a while back, they said it was out of stock, went to see the griz gunsmither and that one was ok, tried to buy it but it was also out of stock. That was a bummer after driving up to griz but couldnt get it. Then mac called me and said the pms were in and my tax check just came so timing was right and I got it. So far it looks better than the griz I saw so im happy it worked out like that, only complaint is they don't have 24hr. customer service but then again they are only an hour from me. And the steady has tips not rollers, but took care of that rollers in 20 minutes and mine are better than any would ever be so now im all set.
    Beenusing it 2 weeks now and it seems nice, its a good compliment to the old SB heavy10.
    Was scared as hell about a chinese lathe but I can sleep at night now at least seeming like its a nice lathe. after I set it up did a job and held .0005 on it easy on a 10 inch part so im happy so far.. and its a heck of a lot quieter than I thought it would be for a geared head.
    Anyone has one let me know on that footbrake pedal.
    Have a mill on the way after I save up a little more, just have a deposit on one, same brand, really hope its as nice as the lathe is so far. Will have to post a pic of the machine in the new shop if I get around to it. Got a big lathe too from them still in the packing, and a mill comin later, one of these days maybe I will make some money with them!
    Last edited by MachineJim; 02-25-2008, 02:05 AM.

Jim;

The JET chinese lathe I ran while mentoring at the high schoool operated that way, I.E. when the foot (E-stop) brake was actuated the motor was latched out until the operating lever was cycled off, then on.....Strictly a safety feature, a good one too.....

Jim

Comment

Nope nothing wrong - thats a standard safety feature you see on alot of lathes with footbrakes. Everything from clausing to harrison to msc they all have had that feature.

Comment

Originally posted by MachineJim
        Got a new lathe of recent http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1236.html . when I step on it, machine stops, but when I let up, it does not start till I put the spindle lever back to stop then to run again. On ones at work when I let off the brake the spindle starts right up again. Its a lot faster if it starts right up again so maybe somethin is wrong?
        Think you better go back to work and explain to the boss, that if he DOES NOT get the lathe or lathes fixed and pronto, you will be ringing the Occupational Health and Safety fellas.
        Those WORK lathes are just an accident waiting to happen, just make sure you DO NOT go near them, or use 'em again until they are fixed.
        Some DIC#*@!D has removed the safety lockout to make them, maybe a little bit more productive, but at the expense of the safety of the operator.
        Choice is yours to make, just go back and re-read the posting about that lathe accident, it could be you we are hearing about next week, if you don't complain.
        By the way, the new lathe is in good working order, that's what the footbrake is meant to do, stops the chuck and CUTS the power, so it can't start up again, until YOU WANT IT TO START.

Comment

Originally posted by MachineJim
          Got a new lathe of recent http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1236.html and just wondering if anyone else has one. So far been pretty impressed other than with my electrician who wired my garage screwed up my outlets but thats all straight and now its running good, but had a question on the footbrake. when I step on it, machine stops, but when I let up, it does not start till I put the spindle lever back to stop then to run again. On ones at work when I let off the brake the spindle starts right up again. Its a lot faster if it starts right up again so maybe somethin is wrong?
          I may call the place I boguht it from to ask but I chewed them out talking to one guy on his cell phone on last Sunday so bad that they may not talk to me again. Chewed them out when it wasnt even their fault at all, but I even sent a card I felt so bad.
          I ordered this one I bought a while back, they said it was out of stock, went to see the griz gunsmither and that one was ok, tried to buy it but it was also out of stock. That was a bummer after driving up to griz but couldnt get it. Then mac called me and said the pms were in and my tax check just came so timing was right and I got it. So far it looks better than the griz I saw so im happy it worked out like that, only complaint is they don't have 24hr. customer service but then again they are only an hour from me. And the steady has tips not rollers, but took care of that rollers in 20 minutes and mine are better than any would ever be so now im all set.
          Beenusing it 2 weeks now and it seems nice, its a good compliment to the old SB heavy10.
          Was scared as hell about a chinese lathe but I can sleep at night now at least seeming like its a nice lathe. after I set it up did a job and held .0005 on it easy on a 10 inch part so im happy so far.. and its a heck of a lot quieter than I thought it would be for a geared head.
          Anyone has one let me know on that footbrake pedal.
          Have a mill on the way after I save up a little more, just have a deposit on one, same brand, really hope its as nice as the lathe is so far. Will have to post a pic of the machine in the new shop if I get around to it. Got a big lathe too from them still in the packing, and a mill comin later, one of these days maybe I will make some money with them!
          MachineJim.
          I have the same lathe, but sold here in Norway as Bernardo brand, sure it is made in china. Do I like the lathe?

Comment

E-stop

Originally posted by Fasttrack
            Nope nothing wrong - thats a standard safety feature you see on alot of lathes with footbrakes. Everything from clausing to harrison to msc they all have had that feature.

Thanks Fasttrack.

Right on the money.

It is a variation of the common "E-stop" (aka Emergency stop).

My machines all have a "hit the button" (just lightly touch actually) that instantly removes power from my 3-in-1 (mill/drill and lathe), my mini-lathe and my HF-45 square column mill.

All require to be physically re-set to re-start or restore power. They are an absolute "must have " item for reasons given by others.

Some lathes have a lever-operated shaft parallel and adjacent to the power feed shaft. Some have the lever on the floor like the one in question. Other machines have big red button on a lead that can be on the floor and put where needed.

An earth-leakage detector and circuit breaker are also essential. Every machine in my shop has a ELD-secured power circuit at the shop main switch-board. That is to cover the things and electrical faults that I can't see.

Both the E-stop and the ELD are there to protect the operator from accidents and carelessness so far as they can.

Stupidity is another matter.

OH&S people anywhere would have a fit if they saw those e-stops or ELD's by-passed or neutralised.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
              Some lathes have a lever-operated shaft parallel and adjacent to the power feed shaft.
              I remember those - with hand levers - as clutch-brakes for the spindle, not as motor shutoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by rantbot
                I remember those - with hand levers - as clutch-brakes for the spindle, not as motor shutoffs.
                You are correct Rantbot. The hand lever drives the spindle clutch/brake (my Clausing 5914 has it).

It's a very nice feature if you're working up to a shoulder.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

MachineJim, under no condition do you want the lathe to start running again when you take your foot off the brake. Just imagine what would happen if your hand was in the way when you removed your foot from the brake .

As suggested, tell the boss the machines at work are wired wrong and need to be rewired imediately.

A visit to the hospital would be the next thing you would do.

Another thing is on most if not all lathes forward rotation of the spindle is when you lift the start handle on the carriage and reverse is when you push the start handle down.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                  X