MT3 Drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MT3 Drift

Hey, I need a little help. Could someone give me the dimensions for a MT3 Drift. I don't have one here to measure and I'm having a time finding info. I was hoping to whip one up before I head home this afternoon.
    Thanx........ ..............
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

A peice of 3/8" X 1" flat bar about 6" long cut diagonaly would work. The slot on my mt3 spindle is 1- 1/8" By .390"

Comment

Close enough for what I need, Thanx so much.
      "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

No trouble, if you want it to last flame cut it from some T1 and grind it up. the hard drift key will last longer.

Comment

I'm going to get a real one (I've seen them for like $3), I just need to get unstuck for today, Again thanx

Comment

For a number 3 drift the little end is 3/16" and for all Morse drifts, the taper is 1 3/4" per ft. The edges are full radiused but the tapers part is flat.

You won't find drifts detailed in the Morse taper standard in Machinery's Handbook. You have to pick out the essential dimensions from the standard. All the info is there if you look for it. A #2 drift works very well on #3 tapers if when placed in position it's long enough to extends from the spindle slot.

I know you are looking for a quick and dirty solution for an immediate need but others who read this thread might not pick up on a few essential points.

Drifts made of unhardened mild steel don't last long. The head quickly mushrooms and the flat part will ding up from the drill tangs and rainbow. It will get ugly quick if you use it much. My factory-made drifts are about Rc 45, about spring temper. If you make one from mild steel finish it completely and heat trreat it as you woild for water hardening steel. It won't harden much but it will make a difference.

We used to make "Long John" drifts for the large horizontal floor mill quills from abrasion resistant plate which hardens quite well. I still have the ones I made. The biggest is for a #6 Morse and it's about 15" long 1 1/2 wide and about 5/8" thick; kind of bulky to haul around in your tool box. It tapers across the flat towards the little end so it work with #5 Morse sockets. An 8" quill spndle has some resistance to turning by hand even in neutral but my Long John drift was handy for manually barring the spindle around for dialing in bores etc.
            Last edited by Forrest Addy; 02-25-2008, 01:35 PM.

Comment

When you order go ahead and get all the sizes you think you may need or at least up to a #4.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Good point.
                I was going to pick one up today, for $3-4 each for the real deal, I couldn't see spending the time on one. I work .8 miles from Tool Supply Co., 1.2 miles from MSC & Grainger, which are across the street from each other, and 1.8 miles from HF. Guess how many they have in stock.

Comment

Do you guys have these over there ?

Called a Barson Hammer Drift they are like a slide hammer in reverse. Just fit the taper into the socket and slide the handle down until it hits the flange on the blade and the taper pops off.

Heres the guts to it.

No idea how old these are I have had this one and it's mate for about 30 odd years, fit MT1 to MT3 and I must have normal ones kicking around but I always fall back onto these two.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

That's bad-ass. I think I used to carry one like that in my boot!

Comment

No...but we do have these:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/H7959

I bought the small one. It almost works in my MT4 drill press spindle. I should have followed the standard instead of saying "naw....I think the smaller one looks about right".

In any case, I like it. You can operate the drift with one hand and catch the drill chuck with the other.

Paul
                      Paul Carpenter
                      Mapleton, IL

Comment

Haven't seen any since . But in the shop I started in they had some of those they used on some large Lukeus boring mills we had . Back in 68-69 .
                        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I like the slide hammer rig. My drift that I got with the 20" VSG really ticks me off. It seems to need 3 hands to use, but maybe it's an MT2 drift? It's bigger than my existing MT2 drift, and didn't have an MT3 previously, so who knows. But anyway, it goes deep into the slot, fits nice, and has about 1" or so sticking out to whack. Problem is (well, sorta), this spindle grips like nobodies business, you gotta thonk the drift moderately solid (no, I'm not wailing on it) to pop a good (PTD, CLE, old Jacobs) taper out when it's been properly seated. Well, got one hand holding/catching the tool being removed, one holding the dead blow, and another to catch the drift as it flies out the the other side. I'll let you use your imagination for how I, with no third hand, catch the drift, so to speak... <whistling innocently>

Still, I've thought about building/buying a larger drift that won't go all the way through, maybe adding a cross bar?
                          Russ
                          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Working...
                          X