Steel Selecting Spindle Shafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Selecting Spindle Shafts

Need to order some steel from Speedymetals to make a couple of shafts. First is for a farm store drill press. Has some threads, two pressed on shielded bearings, splines, and a MT3 socket. About 1" X 12". The other is about the same size is a spindle for an old Dumore toolpost grinder. Two press on shielded bearings shoulders and threads both ends also 1" X 12". Want steel that is strong yet machinable with out heat treating. Which would serve me better A2, 1045, 1117 or 1215? A2 @ $14.00/ft over $4.75 for the others doesn't bother me if there is any advantage. Not building any rocket ships for NASA but don't want to skimp on material as much labor is involved.

1144 stressproof machines like a dream but is tough stuff. I like using it.

Comment

What Mike said: Speedy carries a Stressproof (1144) clone, which is partially hardened (less than 4140 Pre-Hard, for example), but machines very nicely.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

brockley1

I would use 4340 for the grinder spindle, extremely fatigue resistant for cantilever shafts. Make sure any changes in dia. are stress relieved. slow finished radius. A sharp internal corner may cause a stress fracture.
        The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Go with 1045, it's more than adequate.

Comment

Another vote for 1144 -- it machines to a nice finish.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for your input. Keep hearing good things about the 1144 stressproof. Will give it a try. Would have tried 4340 too but they don't have it.

Comment

Working...
              X