Photobucket message?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket message?

Got a message allegedly from Photobucket complaining that "I" am "incorrectly linking" to pictures in my account.

Is this a scam? And if so why?

I only ever use their own linking tools, copying the link off the link options on the site, so I cannot possibly be doing something wrong.

I suppose someone ELSE might do something, but how would Photobucket blame ME for that?

I have put off asking them any questions, in case it is a scam of some sort. phishing for something.

The reply does seem to go to "[email protected]" though.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

J Tiers,
    Sure smells fishy to me (Pun Intended)

Contact them directly and see what they say.
    http://photobucket.com/about/contact-us

Ken

Comment

When you put a photo online it will eventually be found by Google among others. Then it will be cataloged and can be found via a Google internet photo search which will eventually result in others using or linking to your photos from other sites. If it appears that the photos are being linked from a multiplicity of sites Photobucket will take exception to that. Although they can tell if many different sites are linking to the same files they can't tell who is responsible, you for instance.

It is for this reason that I usually give my images somewhat cryptic names that won't be easily found in a Google image search. The leeching bandwidth adds up.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well, I figured out what it is

IT IS ENTIRELY THE FAULT OF PHOTOBUCKET.

They are complaining that the links are made wrongly, to 'smg" and not "img", which apparently is a server link (s) of some sort.

They provide 4 ways to link, here are copies of teh first part of the links, copied 15 minutes ago.

Email & IM such as http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/.....
        Direct link, such as http://img.photobucket.com/albums/......
        HTML code such as <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0803/ ...................
        Image code such as [IMG]htt*://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/.....[/IMG]

Their problem seems to be with the Email and IM link, where THEIR OWN LINK TEXT shows "smg" instead of "img". The HTML is wrong also, but I don't use that.

I wrote them back and suggested that they "may want to fix" their own site so that it will not provide the wrong link text.

We'll see what happens

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

I received the same message.

Hi
          I then received another e-mail saying that it was a mistake and no error had been made by me and my account was fine. I suspect you will receive another e-mail from them shortly saying the same thing.
          Chuck

Comment

Well, you can't say that you didn't get your money's worth...

Comment

If you recently received an email from
              Photobucket titled “You are incorrectly linking from
              Photobucketâ€‌ please ignore this message. This
              email was sent to you in error. We apologize for
              this inconvenience.

Rest assured that all of the links to your images
              and videos continue to work. Keeping your media
              safe and secure, and providing reliable hosting
              of your photos, images and videos is our primary
              concern. We thank you for your patience in this
              matter and your continued support.

The Photobucket Team
              http://photobucket.com

Comment

Got the same message as J Tiers last night, and an apology today.
                Harry

Comment

I could add a gallery for the users of this site so you can Host your pictires here but im not a tech admin here.

Im sorry nobody in command wants to make the site better, I would fix it if given the chance.

Then photobucket could take a hike.. Newbs could just post a picture and not have a bunch of stuff to fight through.

I have been here a long time and see that this forum has the minimum amount of features turned on and its silly, its a bare bones set up.

I do like this forum but am willing to make it better, I know I can do it.

Comment

Yes, they did issue the "oopsie"

I AM puzzled by the "bunch of stuff to fight through" comment.

To me, Photobucket is about as easy as it ever gets. Stick your pics there (they make it ridiculously easy) and then just copy the appropriate link whenever you need to (also made ridiculously easy).

You don't have to know what you are doing.

Comment

Server

Originally posted by J Tiers
                      Yes, they did issue the "oopsie"

I AM puzzled by the "bunch of stuff to fight through" comment.

To me, Photobucket is about as easy as it ever gets. Stick your pics there (they make it ridiculously easy) and then just copy the appropriate link whenever you need to (also made ridiculously easy).

You don't have to know what you are doing.
                      I agree with you Jerry.

I have made my PB album "private" so that only I can access it to "operate" it but others can access the files/pics to/of which I have provided the link/s.

I think that Evan has something similar or better on his server to which any link he gives is directed to.

I'd be interested in Evan's comment on this.

Comment

Working...
                      X