Southbend headstock which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southbend headstock which one?

I need a Southbend headstock to adapt to another lathe,I am not to familiar with them but what I am looking for is one with Timken bearings and the 2-1/4"thread any ideas as what model to look for?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

WEIRD,
    You're best bet is to find one with timken bearings and 2 1/4 threads that fits, because if it doesn't fit you won't be able to use it.
    Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Its not going on a SB so it don't matter anyway,and besides I am a machinist its my job its what I do

Comment

Hmmm, do you know for a fact that there is such an animal? Except for the very new SB's were there any with timken bearings? I would think the newer ones would have D type spindles or at least something other than a threaded spindle.

How about a Logan or Sheldon headstock?

Comment

http://www.mermac.com/ has a 10H head listed in their lathe parts with 2-1/4 or 1-7/8 spindles (Interchangable).

Comment

Well I don't really care what make it would come off of,it just needs to be roller bearing,a spindle thats threaded with something standard or cam lock(he-he!)and about the right size to shim up/mill down to fit.What I am trying to fix is my old senaca falls machine,everything about it is perfect except for the headstock bearings,I was going to bore them out and sleeve the spindle but after looking at it there is not enough room.

Comment

The only bearings I'm aware of in SouthBends are plain bronze ones. But then I'm more comfortable with 19th Century technology (designed by Engineers & mechanicians, not lawyers & politicians). The Bearings & spindle in my SouthBend Model A are still usable after 60 years (it has the war dept. plate like many of that era). I had the spindle polished last week for $23 and hope to reshim it successfully. There is a Southbend user group on Yahoo, if you haven't tried it. As a lurker I have learned usefull stuff from them. You have my respect for attempting to restore a useful machine in a declining world.

Comment

My 1937 9" South Bend Workshop Lathe has no headstock bearings as is the case with most SB lathes of the time. The spindle runs directly in the cast iron headstock. The spindles were ground and available in several types. For an extra ten bucks you could have it hardened. By 1940 they were using alloy steel, carburized, hardened and ground. If you have one with bronze bearings it is rare. They did make a few with bronze bearings but it was never mentioned in the literature at the time and might have been a way to rescue an out of tolerance headstock.

BTW, my lathe with the over centre belt tensioner (an option) originally sold for $103.25
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If you can work with a 7" headstock, you can get a brand new replacement casting, spindle, etc. at Little Machine Shop for probably under $100 total. It has a mini-lathe (chuck and accessories) bolt mount flange and MT3 taper in the spindle. LMS doesn't seem to mind selling parts either for whatever your purpose is. It's a nice compact little head ... but maybe too compact
                  ---
                  Sorry, just noticed you wanted it for another lathe, just like your post says .

Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 06-12-2003).]

Comment

Working...
                  X