• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big beast of a lathe !!!Alistair

http://www.vannattabros.com/shop.html
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Does it take 3C collets?
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Alistair, Here is the pig I run at work.

Jim

Comment

you shure as sh.. do not want to get caught up in that thing.
        regards
        mark

Comment

Two carrages,that's cheating!
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Now that one aint taking 3C collets!

Comment

The beast

If that beast has a serial or any number with "666" in it I'd give a big miss (no, not you madam - Oh you like the "beast" bit do you Miss? - how nice for you)!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

Comment

Big Lathe
                I believe that New Jersy class battleships mounted 16"x50 caliber guns. This means that the barrels were nearly 67 fet long. Anyone have a picture of the lathe that machined them?
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

get a big enough piece between centers and you could drink beer and do tricks like these guys do on a propellor shaft....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSBAQ7E6T_8

Comment

propeller shafts

Cool video of propeller shaft antics. I've been down in the shaft alley standing on the shaft in port while working on the amplidyne's for the fire control radar directors. Had to keep moving my feet as the shaft was rotating slowly as the jacking gear was engaged. I recall being told that was so the shaft didn't sag. Not enough room down there on a destroyer for that kind of horseplay. Shaft alley's are dark nasty places. Been down there underway as well. The shaft was spinning a bit too fast to stand on then.
                    Bill
                    San Diego, CA

Comment

With large lathes like that, is proper safety gear a hard hat and parachute? It just seems to me that the concept of being sucked in and wrapped around the work would be a little less worrisome than the concept of being picked up and shot out. I mean 200 RPM on a 36" diameter is what, 21 MPH?

I bet a crash on something that size is somewhere between tractor-trailer flipping and train derailment!

Comment

I don't get it...why does that lathe have two carrages? is the bed split some how?

Comment

I am just guessing but I think the 2 carriages are to speed up production one cutting behind the other. Twice as much work in the saame amount of time.

Comment

"I don't get it...why does that lathe have two carriages? is the bed split some how?"

The idea is to do twice the cutting in the same amount of time.Large long parts may take several hours per pass.(gravy)
                            the bed is not split.To run only one carriage on a shorter piece you lift off the tailstock and move it to the headstock side of the 2nd carriage.

Comment

mms://wintegrate.biz/binns/superlathe.wmv
                              NRA member

Gun control is using both hands

Comment

Working...
                              X