Taig CNC package and Cad CAM software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taig CNC package and Cad CAM software

In your opinion, what is the best Taig CNC 4-axis package including Cad CAM out there, or CNC 4-axis Taig mill package and separate Cad CAM software? I will be doing a few complicated parts, and then some average complexity requiring engraving logos on the finished product. I have looked at different packages on the web. Please fell free to explain your recommendations. This is a very big purchase for me in the near future, and I need to become as knowledgeable about the subject before I make a purchase. If building a system from scratch is recommended, please point out where I might acquire the information and parts to proceed with that direction. Thank you all for your time & help!

Mr T Jedi,
    Ironically there seem to be a few people doing just this at the moment, all with Taig mills.
    See a thread on another group for more information. http://tinyurl.com/dvyh

I am partway through doing exactly the same, I bought a manual Taig and converted it the CNC as the cost differences here in the UK between manual and CNC are nearly 5 fold.
    Some pics at
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevens...iles/taig1.jpg
    Throught to */taig7.jpg

Where I bought motors from wouldn't interest you as being in the US but the first link has some good, cheap motors mentioned.

A good driver board for these would be the Xylotex board from Jeff at www.xylotex.com

For a controller Turbo CNC or Mach1 will fit the bill nicely.

For a very simple, easy to learn CAD CAM program Dolphin fits the bill very nicely.

Probably too much to take in at one session but digest and ask again.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John-

That the first time I've ever seen the steppers mounted in that manner. It's completely brilliant. No stand offs to make and it's nicely armored.

Comment

That is the way most servos and steppers are mounted when belt drive is used. Direct drive with a spiralflex coupling is better but far more expensve. The belt drive also allows for some mechanical advantage so smaller steppers or servos can be used.

No argument over John being a sneaky bugger though! John did it the smart way - steel tubing, I would have machined a nice box and wasted far more time on it needlessly.

Comment

I have a 2019CR - but am a long way behind John. I am making my own drivers for 5 phase steppers.... Unless you are interested in the learning experience, there are at least three solid, well supported choices of controllers and low level software. A good question is what kind of stepper you have or is it servo? That can have a lot to do with some choices. EMC is talked about, but Mach 1 or 2 gets raves (and how!) from people I know using both.

It is such a versatile mill, and the software out there is getting so good....

Rhino is talked about a lot. Dolphin gets raves! I think it is more an end application and tool chain thing sometimes - and what you learned on.

Some people are using Lightwave, Aura, Max 3D, Maxxon, and some traditional movie/video/still image software to create a design and then build it.

As John said, there are a lot of folks out there doing things and may be Tony will write a book about it (a sequel?). There may be no "one best way" to do this because it depends on your application and what you want to do. If it is scribing metal, then that is one thing. Making a plastic mockup for a goofy idea (my gig), then another. Building a set for a Movie(!!!), then another.

One thing that really helps is a pipeline to someone who has done it and has a working applications knowledge of a lot of packages. Someone you can talk to and knows. The Yahoo group is good and you can generally ask Nick Carter most anything there - and get good answers.

Have fun!

-- jr
          dvideo

Comment

Thanks for the great info Guys.
            What type of motor do you suggest? Stepper or servo?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tooljedi:
              Thanks for the great info Guys.
              What type of motor do you suggest? Stepper or servo?
              </font>
              The AC servos are very powerful and worth the extra money if you need that much muscle. Servos are the most expensive and requires an even more expensive driver.

Steppers by comparison are much cheaper solution for the home. The popular Gecko board and others make the steppers within reach to most people with the urge to go CNC.

Comment

Working...
              X