Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats better than the HF 7 x 10 lathe

Guys,
    I was approved for the industrial grant, not as much as I had hoped for, but still some free money.
    What would be better than a HF 7 x 10, larger but not huge, because I do small things. I would like something like a DRO on it also. I make small parts, sometimes eligent knives, and special bearing for small machines.
    Then what is a better mill than the HF drill mill, this time bigger would be better, but not huge. Of course with a factory DRO. I cut MOP, aluminum, silver, Carbon fiber, some plastics and stainless steel, in the 440 class.
    I only have to come up with the money for a new power feed to my garage from the electric company.
    They will give me some other things, like silver casting equipment and rolling mills, but that is more jewelry oriented.

Thanks,

Jerry

Hello, Sieg that is makes the mini lathe and mini mill has just came out with the X3 mill. It weighs 300lbs, and I think the guy over at www.lathemaster.com will be selling them.
    As for the lathes, I just recieved my micromark 7x14 Lathe today. I know it is really the same lathe as your 7x10, but it is bigger. Next size up is a 9" lathe, they weigh atleast 300lbs.

Perhaps you should look for a used Myford or Emco 7" lathe if you want nicer quality.

Comment

What's better? Anything! I'm not saying these little lathes don't have their uses so all of you that have them cool your jets I'm not besmirching their honor. I am however hard pressed to think of something more limited AND that low on the quality scale. I like the EMCO or Myford suggestion. Myford has a lot of useful accesories for it and there are a lot of articals that feature it. An Emco 5 is another good choice, IIRC the 450# Gorilla has one. I've got a maximat 10 but it may be more than your looking for. If you are sure you don't need the size then Emco made a couple of 3" models which should be quite affordable. Prazi is the next step down and still good from the little I've played with one. There's a lot of used Atlases around in decent shape and affordable. While not as rugged as some other makes the Atlas is easily rebuilt and modified. I think you would even be happier with a used 9" jet than the mini lathe. Oh, how could I forget the ubiquitous Sherling, got to be a good bargan on one of these.

-Dave

Comment

This is a once in a lifetime deal, so cadilliac quality can be had, but not Rolls Royce.

Keep those suggestions coming.

Jerry

Comment

I have a Emco Maximat 7 and they are super lathes. I would prefer the 10" model, but I could always make riser blocks...no, that is too much work!

But seriously, they are outstanding machines and I use standard chucks and tooling. The Maximats are hard to find but have a rather robust (for its size) milling head - excellent for milling small stuff. This would be better than a cheesy mill/drill but it sure as hell is not a Bridgeport - which would be a better choice IMHO.

Comment

Jerry: There's a Maximat 7 with milling head on ebay right now. There is also an Emco Compact 5 which "looks" like it was hardly used (but no tooling). The Compact 8 is a nice machine (if clean, with tooling) and you'd still have pretty good luck with accessories for a while. Beware, the Compact 8E and 8V are Asian with the Emco logo slapped on.

There's also Prazi and up to the SD400 they look pretty good. The newer ones and the Wabecos look like the tailstock couldn't support its own weight (but I could be VERY wrong).

There's also this (claims to have only 30 hours of run time !):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1272

Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 06-12-2003).]

Comment

I wish I could get this stuff from eBay, but the basic rules are simple. They order the equipment and I receive it, they pay for it. I do like the idea of the 10 inch lathe.

I am going to call Emco and see what KBC has. Maybe a turn key arrangement.

Thanks, keep the suggestions coming.

Jerry

Comment

How does one go about trying to get approved for an industrial grant? I'd like some new machine equipment. I'm serious. Tell me, please.

Comment

Jaymo,
                  I found the Industry Council in my state and asked them if they had any money for training or equipment for me. They said no, but they had the name of an organization that did do grants. It just happen to be another part of the Industry Council, but had a different name.
                  They wanted me to understand that part of what they do is help cottage businesses. You need to have a shop already existing, doesn't have to be a great place or high tech. You have to produce something, some kind of product, something they can hold in their hands.
                  You need to have a customer base and get letters from them, stating that you provide a quality product, and that they will continue to buy from you.
                  Then you need to have a basic business plan, it doesn't have to be fancy, but it can't be in Crayon on a bar napkin. These are easy to write, just say what you do and want to do, with what should be the outcome of a equipment infusion to your shop.
                  I know this sounds like a hassle, but who else is going to give you a grant that you don't have to pay back? Think about this grant in this light, I will have 20 hours getting the information they want, they will give me $30,000 or so in equipment for that 20 hours worth of time. I think that is about $1500 an hour in pay.
                  They don't pay that well at Taco Bell.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

Well done on getting the grant, did the BBS help you in your submissions to the authorities for the grant? If so, I'll be around for the Moose Head 'pay-out' next time I'm in the area!

It seems you're getting plenty of suggestions for the lathe model. I'd certainly go along with the Emco, Myford suggestions. Now for the mill I'd like to see you fitted out with an Aciera F3 - now they are manufactured in Indonesia I understand the prices are realistic, and it is a proven design that has its roots set in the Swiss watch manufacturing industry. Forget the Tommy Tonka mill/drills they are more trouble than they are worth, with non aligning heads and questionable leadscrew/dial calibration!

RR

Comment

The BBS helped in knowing what I wanted and what to ask and say. Sometimes it's hard for people to understand a concept unless you can break it down in to simple steps and in simple words.

All of you out there,

Many thanks,

Jerry

Comment

I have KBC sending me a quote on a nice mill with DRO, a 10 x 30 lathe with DRO and a surface grinder with X,Y Z axis contols.
                        The faceting machine and the lost wax casting equipment I am ordering for several companies.
                        As that I can not buy supplies and things that become shop product with this money, I have only spent about $20,000 so far. I can buy coolants, lubes, bits, tolls that sort of stuff, but things like bar stock and round stock I can't.
                        Maybe a Tapmatic will be in the picture.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                        X