Is this okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this okay?

I need a very small amount of 1" diameter CRS to finish a project and don't really feel like waiting for shipping & buying way more than I need from the metals supplier. Is it cool to call around to machine shops and ask if they have anything in their drops bin or is that considered bad form? I plan on paying for it, of course.
    Stuart de Haro

Good shops dont mind at all , if its small and they dont even have to saw it off they might give it to you or take a couple bucks for the after work beer fund.

Comment

Some times they can be a lil crotchety, just the nature of the beast. Better than calling, just stop in. If its a small job shop the phone call might be more annoying taking them off the lathe.

If you stop in and put yer face to the question they may be more accommodating. Might still be crotchety, and yell at the floor sweeper to get you the metal. But again, just the nature.. JR
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

As a machinist, i've had strangers come by the back looking for the odd piece, gladly and I gladly help them out. But I know if they walked through the front door, management could go either way

Alex

Comment

Come over for coffee tomorrow.. I'll give you a bunch. Damm shorts/crops/drops drive me nuts. I started throwing out some of the run of the mill mild steel stuff but the "Pro Packrat" in me won't allow throwing away anything that's the least bit shiny.
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by hornluv
            I need a very small amount of 1" diameter CRS to finish a project and don't really feel like waiting for shipping & buying way more than I need from the metals supplier. Is it cool to call around to machine shops and ask if they have anything in their drops bin or is that considered bad form? I plan on paying for it, of course.
            Keep in mind shop rates are in the $50 to $75+/hour range. And the guys are not HSM'ers wanting to talk machining and show people around.

You're stealing their work time by doing this. I suggest not doing it.

Comment

I often hear it recommended to drop a couple of dollars in the beer fund or bring a box of donuts or take an example of your work to show and the shop will gladly turn you loose in their scrap bin. Quite frankly, I would never consider doing it.

It might work with a small shop, but I have to agree with DR, it is a distraction, and most larger shops will not be appreciative of it. With the increasingly higher cost of scrap materials, some shops even consider the sale price of the scrap into their costing.

The best way to accumulate a working inventory of known stock is to buy it as you need it. The purchase of a few common sizes of known stock will pay off in the long run, and you will save the time and expense of driving around town scrounging for this and that.
              Jim H.

Comment

Consider those scrap barrels at various machine shops are normally sold/picked up by local scap metal facilities. You might want to get the material at the other end, from the scrap yard. Its a touchy matter now days due to insurance and many yards will not sell anything to the public.

Local yards for me won't sell anything BUT I stopped at one and talked with the manager, told him of my hobbies and he allows me to buy. I get aluminum, brass mostly at $1 a pound. Aluminum is often printed with its type right on the stock. You have to use some judgement in your approach, don't show up at their busiest time for example.

I also bring donuts and cold soda pops in the hot weather.

Comment

I like JC's idea. Just walk up to the back door with a box of donuts and ask if you could trade it for a small piece of stock you need and don't have time to order. I'll bet they'd be glad to help.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Don't waste their time.

1" CRS is all too common, you need to buy some and just have it on hand.

In scouting out machine shops to buy stuff from, I generally take them something to make me. It seems ignorant, but if I go in with a part that I need made and ask them to quote it, I can generally judge if it's a shop I'd like to do business with. Might cost me $50 to make a friend, but a shop will be a lot more willing to talk to you if you are a customer.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                      I like JC's idea. Just walk up to the back door with a box of donuts and ask if you could trade it for a small piece of stock you need and don't have time to order. I'll bet they'd be glad to help.
                      You might consider the recent post on gun ownership before strolling up to the back door of some of these shops. Many are located in less desireable neighborhoods, and your appearance might not be greeted in a friendly manner. Definitely do not try it with large, tattooed shop operators in Georgia.

They would probably keep the donuts too.
                      Jim H.

Comment

1" cr

How much do you need? If you only need 2" you could just buy a long 1" bolt and part the head and threads off. You might be able to use the threads on something else later.

mark61

Comment

Originally posted by hornluv
                          I need a very small amount of 1" diameter CRS to finish a project...
                          If you weren't across the other side of the Pond I'd grab a bit from my scrap box and pop it in the post.
                          I'm sure somebody on here closer to you could do that as well -how much do you need?

Peter

Comment

I wouldn't mind as long as you didnt want to bs and look at all my machines and ask endless questions. Donuts are alright but I prefer cash.

Comment

Originally posted by DR
                              Keep in mind shop rates are in the $50 to $75+/hour range. And the guys are not HSM'ers wanting to talk machining and show people around.

You're stealing their work time by doing this. I suggest not doing it.
                              Thats just plain silly.

Machine shops sell metal too and not everyone needs 500 pounds. Some shops have bushings, bearing, sprockets, chain, pullys and other things they will sell you to go along with that shaft you want.

The rule in the machine shop business is that if you treat someone right he will tell a friend , if you screw someone or are just an ass he will tell 10.

I know what a pain in the ass customer is, the type that does not know what he wants, ask the price of every peice of metal in the rack is then wants to dicker over the price of a $6 peice of metal and needs me to break a $100 bill. Yes thats a pain in the ass.

Dont be that guy and you will do fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X