Aloris clone boring bar holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloris clone boring bar holders

has anyone ordered-recieved any of the boring bar holders for Aloris clone toolposts that CDCO sells? Are they as good a quality as their lathe bit holders?

The Aloris holders are nothing more than a block of steel with a hole or slot in them, and the boring bar holders are likely as good as the others. I have an older chicom BXA set and the boring bar holder is as good as the rest.

The only holder I would not recommend is the knurling holder. Better knurling tools can be shop fabricated.

I think that Aloris made a mistake by not making an economy toolholder set available to the HSM market. Dorian did, and Travers sold it under their label.
    Jim H.

Comment

I picked some up a while ago, they seem to fit my tool post with no problems, good price and they are on sale now per CDCO's web site. Grizzly lathe with BXA style toolpost

Comment

I just recieved 3 of each of AXA and BXA types, they fit well and are nicely finished.

Comment

There was a thread a couple of months ago when the ones from CDCO were on special, I bought a half dozen, they're fit and work just fine but you have to throw away the "set screws" they come with and buy real ones from a good source, I was ordering from McMaster Carr at the time anyway, so I got them from them. The CDCO supplied setscrews were so bad as to be dangerous.
          Robert
          grumpy old fart
          www.wirewerkes.com

Comment

I think the question was regarding the *boring bar holders* (round through hole) as opposed to the other tool holders.

I did buy one of the bar holders for use in making a ball-turning attachment. Fit and finish did seem fine.

I did also buy a few of the standard turning and boring tool holders and they are fine. The screws may be soft, but work fine. What I did not care for was the fact that the ends of the screws that contact the tool were not cut off cleanly. I chucked them up in the lathe and faced them flat on the end and they work fine. I like them a bit soft. It allows you to snug them up until they bite and yet they remain softer than the tool its gripping. I think this makes for a better grip.

Paul
            Paul Carpenter
            Mapleton, IL

Comment

I bought one of those for my 5/8 boring bar. It works just fine. For my 1/2 and 3/8 boring bars I made one that would work for both. Was a little worried that the extra extension would give me too much flex but it seems OK. I can still bore to an interference fit with it.

And before someone beats me to it...I dont use both at once LOL
              Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Paul can you show us the ball turning attachment im planning to make one real soon.

thanks
                Jason

Comment

I could show you if I had finished it

The design was going to be similar to this but for using a boring head for the easy fine adjustability.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/mores...allTurner.html

I am going to use a typical 2" boring head. I had some 1" od, 3/4" id flanged bronze bushings that were an easy press fit in the boring bar holder. I tried to turn down an extra import r-8 boring head arbor to 3/4"...but it was hard and turning it turned into an exercise like trying to scrape ice from the driveway with a spoon, even with carbide tooling. So, on my next tooling order, I orderd a 3/4" straight shank for the boring head. I thought I was all set until it arrived and the shank was only maybe 1.5" long....sigh...now it doesn't reach all the way through the boring bar holder so my method of attachment will involve some re-fabrication when I get more time. I was going to just use a typical clamp-type round shafting collar on the tail end with a handle welded or screwed to the clamp collar.

Paul
                  Paul Carpenter
                  Mapleton, IL

Comment

Besure to post photos when you get it finished! Gary P. Hansen
                    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                      I think that Aloris made a mistake by not making an economy toolholder set available to the HSM market. Dorian did, and Travers sold it under their label.
                      I got Enco's usa-made turning/facing indexable toolholder as well as the threading one. Only ones I know of compatible with axa toolholders. They're actually branded Dorian and I've had good luck with them.

I ordered a batch of the CDCO axa toolholders, and while they're consistent, the dovetail's a different width from the phase 2's that came with a piston toolpost. I now have an Aloris brand wedge type post and the Phase 2 holders fit on it exactly as they did on the Phase 2 piston, but the CDCOs require an additional 90 deg. on the handle to tighten them on the post.

The ones I made myself fit perfectly as well, but at least with the CDCOs I saved a lot of time and punishing cuts on my Millrite. Just wished the damned handle didn't point straight back at me.

That and the bogus screws.

Comment

Working...
                      X