X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import dividing head models

A few days ago I ordered this dividing head from Grizzly:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1053

A few minutes ago UPS dropped it off. When I opened it up and started reading the manual I find that there is another version of this tool called the B&S type No.2. My head is the type 0 and Grizzly lists the type 1 on their site. The big difference between the heads is the gearing and motion transfer assembly so that you can use the head to cut spirals. This is the first I've seen of this tool, does anyone know where it's available? If I can source one I think I may send this head back and order the N0. 2.

Thanks.
    Brett Jones...

Brett, the dividing head you have (I have the same model) is a semi-universal dividing head, which means it can swivel to angles between 0-90 degrees as required.

The other one you are referring to is a universal dividing head. These dividing heads have an additional external worm shaft to turn the dividing head, and which is driven by gears in conjunction with table movement in the X direction.
    This means that the dividing head will turn at a ratio with the table travel as it moves past a cutter, hence giving it the ability to cut a helix. I did the theory on these many years ago, but have never actually used one. However, there is a picture at the bottom of this page that may explain it better.
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/victoria/page3.html

A quick google reveals the Enco have one listed here:
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

Peter

Comment

Import dividing head models

I believe that Enco part number 203-4020 is the "equivalent" you are searching for.

Not cheap and very heavy (I have one). I had to make a case/dolly to store and move all the associated items (gears, shafts, etc.), but it does mate up to my Bridgeport and will index an infinite amount of rates in addition to spiral cuts........

Comment

Import dividing head models

As an additional thought, at this point in technology, in lieu of purchasing a mechanical dividing head, I would probably opt for a rotary table equipped with a stepper motor and control module. Far more more versatility and capability, in my opinion. The only drawback is that it normally doesn't mechanically couple to your machines for things like spiral cuts.

Just a thought............

Comment

Thanks everyone for the Enco info.

Since it's about 3x the cost of the No. 0 and it's going to be used on my small Sheldon mill I think I'll stick with the one that was delivered. It's very likely a better fit than either the No. 1 or No. 2 anyway.

Thanks again.
          Brett Jones...

Comment

Dividing Head

The Universal dividing head can be operated in several modes, one is direct where the head spindle is turned directly with the hand crank using the various index plates to divide the part, the head can be set up so the milling machine's table drive shaft is geared to the head to machine helical parts or the division of parts for prime numbers can be done using the crank to turn the spindle and the spindle in turn drives via gears including the worm gear to drive the index plate. Another use is for the head to be geared to the table drive to move the table in precise increments for engraving special scales. The set up requires an extra set of gears to cover all the options. I have two of the old B&S heads and set of gears.

JRW

Comment

Working...
            X