#1 machinery handbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 machinery handbook

Just in case some of you haven't seen this and might be interested, Industrial Press now has their reprint of the first Machinery Handbook (#1, Jan. 1914 I think) for sale. The price is 50 dollars. They have an advert. in HSM magazine, but info on this should be available at there web site.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

#1 Machinery's Handbook

I could get one to keep my REAL first edition company!
    Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
    http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
      Just in case some of you haven't seen this and might be interested, Industrial Press now has their reprint of the first Machinery Handbook (#1, Jan. 1914 I think) for sale. The price is 50 dollars. They have an advert. in HSM magazine, but info on this should be available at there web site.
      As slack as they are about putting in new info I suspect the content of no. 1 is pretty much the same as the current editions !

Comment

Originally posted by Milacron of PM
        As slack as they are about putting in new info I suspect the content of no. 1 is pretty much the same as the current editions !
        Too funny.. Yeah, I have a fifth edition and flippin though it, it looks pretty darn close the the 27th.. Guess the laws of mechanics just dont change that quickly LOL JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
          Too funny.. Yeah, I have a fifth edition and flippin though it, it looks pretty darn close the the 27th.. Guess the laws of mechanics just dont change that quickly LOL JR
          The laws don't, but tooling and standards that are popular and common have changed alot over the decades.

For a machinist bible that better reflects what is in use in the real world today, Handbook for the Metalworking Industries is a much better reference book IMHO.

Comment

The 5th seems to have some obsolete threads that I don't recall seeing in later issues.......

Who knew there was a 'California" garden hose thread? Or an "Eastern", "Pacific coast", "Pittsburg", or "Boston" hose thread?

All those are, IIRC, in the 5th edition, but don't seem to be in the 19th, so evidently SOME editing was done.....

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

So does volume 1 have the specs of an R8 taper because the later ones don't either.

America's most famous taper and zilch...........

[ Edit ]

Are they doing Vol 1 on vinyl instaed of CD ?

John Stevenson
              Last edited by John Stevenson; 03-30-2008, 07:26 AM.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Edison

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                So does volume 1 have the specs of an R8 taper because the later ones don't either.

America's most famous taper and zilch...........

[ Edit ]

Phonograph?
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonograph

Comment

In current practice my 14th edition is not up to date. ISO tolerancing and the like are not there. Lot's of metric stuff has been added over the years, and you need to have that too keep up in today's world. For the shade tree though, there is lots of very useful and relevant info. Hence why I keep my 14th at home and my 27th at work!

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson

Probably hard rubber or some form of Bakelite. (as 78rpm discs or
                    cylindars as Edison used) :-)
                    ...lew...

Comment

Here is their site addy:
                      http://www.industrialpress.com/en/default.aspx

Here is a book they have that some here may find more useful:

It has the stuff that comes up from time to time in most type shops dealing with metal and machines. If you have wanted a copy of the Machinery's handbook but have been stopped by the hefty price. Because it would only be be used on occasion. This may be for you.
                      it covers the areas that comes up more than the other stuff.

* Math tables, formula's
                      * Threads
                      * Grinding wheels
                      * Properties of materials
                      * Gearing among others

Small enough for the glove box or tool box. It might be one to considerer.

This is the review I did for another site.
                      Glen
                      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                        The 5th seems to have some obsolete threads that I don't recall seeing in later issues.......

Who knew there was a 'California" garden hose thread? Or an "Eastern", "Pacific coast", "Pittsburg", or "Boston" hose thread?

All those are, IIRC, in the 5th edition, but don't seem to be in the 19th, so evidently SOME editing was done.....
                        There are some hose thread references in the fifth that are not in some of the other editions.. JR

Comment

Comment

All condensed to this in the 13th edition JR

Comment

Yup.

Your 5th is a lot less yellowed than mine, apparently.

I'll bet there is other similar stuff that has evolved as well. Just LOCATING that information, and getting it into a book is a considerable challenge, and would have been worse in 1920. Complaining about the editing seems a bit harsh, at least for older editions..... Maybe current editions are lame, but I wouldn't know. My latest is the 19th, and I think I might have paid as much as $12 for the most expensive of the three editions I have.

Looks like Chicago beat California on the thread standards though.........
                              J Tiers
                              Last edited by J Tiers; 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

Working...
                              X