DRO Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRO Search

I'm thinking about putting a DRO on my Bridgeport and before I asked for input on different models I would search the archives to see what has been said previously. Typed "DRO" in the search and nothing. Typed "Digital readout" and got a couple useful responses but I know there has been much more DRO discussion and I must be doing something wrong on my search.

put milling machine and possibly bridgeport also this might help.Good luck.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

That's a bit bizzarre, but I got the same behavior. Kudos to you for searching first as this one has been discussed a good bit lately.

I searched on sino since that's the brand I have and I know I wrote a good bit about it lately. I got lots of hits including some that referenced other brands...bring up one brand and everyone pitches the one they have. Anyhow you may try that. Be sure to select the choice (under advanced search) that says "search entire post".

Paul
      Paul Carpenter
      Mapleton, IL

Comment

Hmm....weird. I just tried searching for "VFD" and that didn't give any hits, either.

But I tried Paul's suggestion of using a brand name, and "acu-rite" produced numerous results.

Can a moderator perhaps define what a "keyword" is for searching?
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

three weeks ago i installed a dro on my bridgeport. took a weekend and it was actually fun to do.

last weekend i mounted the digital quill thing too. got them both from cdc and had to custom make a few mounting brackets but thats part of the fun.

i have not used the fancy part of it but for x & y locating its great. i;d be more than happy to take pixs and talk to you about it.

davidh tuakpa at cheqnet dot net hell, id even pay for the call. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
            Hmm....weird. I just tried searching for "VFD" and that didn't give any hits, either.
            I think the BBS software has problems with search terms that are 3 letters -- I have similar problems search for 3-letter keywords on PracticalMachinist.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by viking
              I'm thinking about putting a DRO on my Bridgeport and before I asked for input on different models I would search the archives to see what has been said previously.
              Basically, there are three price points for a glass scale system. At the entry-level there's the Chinese DRO sold as Birmingham, Uniq, Meister, TopTech, CDCO... (and a dozen other names). They run around $540 for 2 axis. Penn Tool Company is selling them this month with free shipping, and Tim Bernarnd (Linear Measuring Systems) has the same price with free shipping on his Ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=250232076865&

At the next step-up in price and quality there's the Jenix, Mitutoyo and Fagor systems, around $700:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260225591341

At the high-end of price and quality, you have Newall, Heidenhahn, Accu-Rite, et al. They're $1200 (and up) for 2-axis.

Tim Bernard, at Linear Measuring Systems, sells all those DRO's (except the Heidenhahn), so he can give you a run-down on what you get for the various price-points:

877-376-4373
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Thanks for the great replys. I tried putting specific brand names in the search and found a ton of great info. More info on brand selection than on install so anyone that wanted to post some pics of their install would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I think I'm going to order a Jenix but they are not in stock right now. They seem to be kind of in the middle between entry level Chinese and the expensive USA models. I read the Jenix user manual on line and it seems better than some of the others. Any installation sugestions appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X