Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make clamps to secure welding gas bottles to trailer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make clamps to secure welding gas bottles to trailer??

We're building a welding trailer at the school, and I need to make some clamps to hold the gas bottles to a stand on the trailer. There will be an inert gas bottle for the MIG, an oxygen bottle, and an acetylene bottle. The instructor wants two clamps securing each bottle.

I'd like to see some pictures of clamps that work well and are easy to fabricate. He doesn't want to use chains. He's suggested making them out of large diameter steel pipe by cutting a ring in half and making a hinged joint and bolted closure. He's open to suggestions, though.

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

securing cylinders

Winchman; When I made my straps, I used 1/8 by 2" HRMS and then welded a hinge on one end, cut a slot on the other end and was able to secure like you use a hasp. To keep the bottles in place on the bottom, I welded two 2 inch long by 2 X 2 angle. This allows the moisture to drain from around the base of the tanks. This is when I was transporting propane bottles and later when I started carrying oxy-act. If I had any further suggestions, it would be that I wished I had put some kind of hinged covers over the bottles as well. Good luck, Wayne.

Comment

Winchman

I forgot to add that I bent the 1/8 strapping by hand over the shape of the tanks; it was easy and despite my beginners welds, they never broke. Wayne

Comment

I wouldnt waste your time making them. They are pretty cheap to buy. I am trying to find the ones we sell on the internet but I am not having any luck.

Comment

I've made a few out of plate cut out to fit the bottles in the shape of a number 3.I used two,one about a foot up from the bottom and another at about 30"Then a 4" ratchet strap winch and strap in between.Form fitting and they don't rattle.

But,check your state's DOT regs first before you build.Here a hazmat plaque is required and running the roads with regulators attached to the bottles is frowned on.Things you might need to consider.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

[QUOTE][QUOTE=wierdscience.

But,check your state's DOT regs first before you build.Here a hazmat plaque is required and running the roads with regulators attached to the bottles is frowned on.

Good advice wierd,every state is a little diff. Here you can use dot caps that allow for the regulators to remain on the tanks, and if they are enclosed and secured inside a service body you don't need the regulators off the tanks or the dot caps on. But a trailer is a whole different animal. .
            Steve

Comment

We're planning on using the DOT caps with the regulators installed.

As for the clamps, one of the students and I cut six 1 1/2" wide rings from 10" and 12" pipe. We'll cut these in half, reform them to fit the tanks better, and add ears for the bolts.

I found out yesterday that the OD of oxygen and inert gas bottles can vary a bit, so the closure arrangement has to accommodate this. We don't want the bottles rattling around. Guido PMed an arrangement that sounds like it will work.

I tried to find the clamps online, but struck out. I must not have been using the right search terms.

Roger
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
              X