How to post a youtube video here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to post a youtube video here.

Broken down in step so its easy to follow.......

At Youtube on the right hand side you will see. "Embed" with a window with some scripting that looks like this.

Code:
     <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghF7njMgZgs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghF7njMgZgs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    See the part that says
    Code:
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ghF7njMgZgs&hl=en"
    Copy just the part that says.
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/ghF7njMgZgs&hl
    click the
    that will bring up the flash tags.

paste the URL you have copied between the tags.

Add the name of the video and tile above it so people know what it is. This is what you get....

CNC CHESS PAWN LATHE

This will work for now.
    Thank you new admin guy. I have the code to mod this forum software so we can have a youtube tag but this will be fine.

It also works for flash games not that you need it.

CHESS

Comment

Great. This should probably be a sticky, don't you think?
      Stuart de Haro

Comment

Hmm, time for a test:

HTRN
        EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Originally posted by hornluv
          Great. This should probably be a sticky, don't you think?

I think so..

Matsuura 5 Axis Machining

Comment

Flash Tags Button?

Where exactly is the button to bring up the flash tags?
            Stuart de Haro

Comment

Why bother?
              Just post the link.
              Just got my head together
              now my body's falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by hornluv
                Where exactly is the button to bring up the flash tags?

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                Why bother?
                Just post the link.
                For the same reason we have pictures embeded. opening a new window is annoying to some.
                Last edited by tattoomike68; 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Thank you Mike.

I wonder if we can use the link as a Sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipslinger
                    Thank you Mike.

I wonder if we can use the link as a Sig.
                    Yes but I would not do that, I know some people might have sigs off but there is no way to scale the size down from 425 wide X 350 high so it may bug some members.

Forums can have cool stuff as long as the features are not abused.

Comment

Posting external live links prolongs the loading time of pages and lights off dns requests for the servers of every linked object. This page was loading quickly earlier but now there are three http sessions alive in my firewall trying to get the preview imagery, and youtube.com is quite slow at the moment.

This is a feature I'd turn off asap. Sorry for bubble busting, but it does not solve a problem and introduces several.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                        Posting external live links prolongs the loading time of pages and lights off dns requests for the servers of every linked object. This page was loading quickly earlier but now there are three http sessions alive in my firewall trying to get the preview imagery, and youtube.com is quite slow at the moment.

This is a feature I'd turn off asap. Sorry for bubble busting, but it does not solve a problem and introduces several.

I could post nasa pictures from the hubble space telescope that will do far more drag on your box then single frame of the youtube preveiw will.

Pictures can be bad too and I dont think they should not be here.

Comment

Actually - unless you know for a fact that the providing site does not mind bandwidth leeching it's really bad form to embed content you don't own. Most of the content on my own servers is imagery so I battle this all the time. I pay for bandwidth and I strongly oppose leeching. One of my images ended up linked to a very popular myface page and it damn near broke the bank. I replaced it with an extremely offensive and very vulgar image as that seems to be a quick fix with leechers.

Comment

Dennis, if they were so opposed to it, then why does Youtube provide a handy cut and paste to embed it?

Youtube is setting themselves up to be the video version of Photobucket.

HTRN
                            EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

I stated why I was opposed to the youtube embedded links - it doesn't solve a problem and creates others. I did not say youtube was opposed. The next response was in regards images and why it's important to consider the source. Obviously some places wish to have the links shared, but less obviously, some do not. That is what leeching is all about. End of point.

There are problems with embedded objects I didn't mention: if you have an "internet accelerator", a tool that prefetches content, it will fetch every byte of every video embedded on this page, and it will fetch them all concurrently, potentially saturating your DSL and annoying your wife and kids (to keep it light). Same thing happens with cacheing proxies. It's just messy stuff to embed live objects and guess what, the visitor still has to click on the object so it accomplishes nothing.

And if the flash content changes between page visits (because of advertising changes or other reasons), it all gets sucked into your accelerator again and the previous copy sits there rotting and taking up space. This happens even if you don't intend to view them. Did I mention it accomplishes nothing, yet? Just my opinion - take it or leave it.

Comment

Working...
                              X