Small tool gloat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small tool gloat

I need to get up to speed on using Mach3 on a lathe for various reasons so not having much time to convert one I was just looking around and spotted on on Ebay, A Denford Orac, for spares, not other description and a not too good picture.
    Looked complete but the guard covered most of the saddle, chuck lying in the tray but something fitted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=180229945141

So sod it for 330 groats you can't get a machine, two ballscrew's and 2 motors so I bought it with Gert's Paypal

Shot down to Oxford yesterday and collected this. It was at one of the many colleges they have there and obviously used for training so should be OK mechanical wise.

Got there and got directions to where it was and the guys there didn't know anything all about it. One guy says I've been here 12 years and never seen a Denford. Oh brilliant 70 off miles for sod all. Looked around, all biggish stuff, Interacts etc no small training lathes, they rang reception but the guy responsible is still on Easter Holidays.

Showed then the Ebay ad and pic and one guy says there is a block wall behind this where could this have been taken ?

Then the penny dropped and it appears there is a lock up garage with loads of gear in it round the back. No keys but a pry bar soon sorted that and at the back is this lathe.

The gloat ? still all greased up from new.
    Apparently because no one knows naff all about this it was listed as spares so as not to offer any warranty.

Turns out everything in this garage has to go as a new road is going thru.

I got two brand new Colchester headstock sleeves and a Metric Ainjest high speed threading attachment that was in one of the scrap bins as well for having to wait around.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Luck just runs right out of you!
    take care
    eddie
    ps. I will pay the freight if you want to ship it my way!
    please visit my webpage:
    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      The gloat ? still all greased up from new.
      Apparently because no one knows naff all about this it was listed as spares so as not to offer any warranty.

Turns out everything in this garage has to go as a new road is going thru.

I got two brand new Colchester headstock sleeves and a Metric Ainjest high speed threading attachment that was in one of the scrap bins as well for having to wait around.

Lucky bastard

I don't suppose one of those colchester headstock sleeves is a 41/2 to 3 MT is it? Could do with one for my Bantam if you're selling.

Peter

Comment

Looks 4-1/2 to 3 ish
        Do you have OD's on the 4-1/2 and I'll measure it.

If so one is yours for free my boy.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Nice one.
          With the hardware,software and manuals aswell? If so it might work out free of charge in the end.

Charles

Comment

Charles,
            No software for these as it's a self contained machine, no computer needed. Must be Eprom stored, no full manual, only a start up guide but I do have a full manual.

At some point it will get gutted as I need a lathe on Mach3 and I reckon this machine is 15 to 20 years old.
            Not old in mechanical terms but electronics and software put it in another era.

There are many being changed over and a search on Ebay will show that unlike a few years ago the cards and drivers are not worth much now.

Comment

Nice score john
              Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

I'll bet Alistairs thrown his kilt on the floor and is jumping up and down on it.

I'll give you a bell next week, I need to pick your brains about cutting a chain sprocket.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Waterfall
                  I'll give you a bell next week, I need to pick your brains about cutting a chain sprocket.

Allan
                  If it's one of these, 5mm pitch 11 teeth.

I have a couple of spares

Boring 20 out last week for oilite bushes and one shot out the chuck and mangled the teeth up <oopps >
                  Couldn't wait for a new one to be posted out so got the CNC to do about 3 or 4

Hardly cost effective over buying them but needs must.........

Comment

anybody else hate it when john does tool gloats?

I post a tool gloat and it's, "I got a new pair of pliers!"

He posts a gloat and it's, "I got a new lathe for next to nothing!"

Comment

John you better run around in a cow pasture... cause with your luck your bound to come up with a heel full of GOLD.
                      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

There is a saying for that sort of luck around here. It's called "having horse shoes up your ass".
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

That's it... you push him, I'll trip him... (playground tactics)

Lucky rascal..

HEY< them old hippies used to crawl around cow pastures and dig in the patties for the mushrooms..
                          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                            If it's one of these, 5mm pitch 11 teeth.

I have a couple of spares

Will they turn down to 3/16" pitch,one 15T and one 22T for a 2.45mm chain roller ?

Oh..nearly forgot,the small one needs a 6mm bore boss on it as well.

Allan

Comment

Got any specs or dimensions on 3/16" pitch sprockets.

Can't seem to locate any quickly, MH as usual has naff all.

Comment

Working...
                              X