Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT...Repairing old motorcycle intake manifold boots???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT...Repairing old motorcycle intake manifold boots???

Hey guys! The rubber intake boots on some of these old motorcycles... they crack after time and need to be replaced.
    However, a lot of them are not available anymore.
    I just rebuilt a KX80 for my helpers boy to race and the damm intake cracked when we where putting the carb on.
    I've tried every source but cannot find one.
    Anyone know if there is a magic Goo out there that'd fix this?
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

I have fabbed adapters out of aluminum with a chunk of goodyear green stripe hose to connect the carb to the adapter, trick is to figure out how to make the transition into the reed cage ....every one is a little different...Good luck Shawn

Comment

Sikaflex will give a flexible repair which holds up, I once patched a nail hole in a tire one Saturday night for a 200 mile round trip on the Sunday, the tire survived and continued hold air until the tread was gone,
      Regards,
      Nick

Comment

Torker, stay away from anything to do with radiator type hose as it will swell as soon as gas hits it, there is some industrial type hose that is rated for oils and would most prob. be OK, If the boots are offset in diameter you may have to make adapters and that will suck, it will also slightly upset flow if not tapered --- Those damn things always weather check...

Comment

Torker,

This might give you some ideas.
          http://www.freemansupply.com/video.htm
          http://www.freemansupply.com/video/clear/clear.htm

- Scott

Comment

Originally posted by torker
            Anyone know if there is a magic Goo out there that'd fix this?
            Thanks! Russ
            How about using the old one as a pattern to mold a new one? Here's a few links:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

http://www.smooth-on.com/

http://www.polytek.com/

Comment

Shawn.. this one has a real ugly angle into the head.. I thought about tryingto machine one from alu.
              Nick.. where do you get Sikaflex?
              Boomer.. yup, I already know about the gas swelling up rad hose. I see a lot of that done here when I take in old bikes.
              Scott and Bob... I was wondering about casting new ones. I'm actually suprised that the aftermarket hasn't covered this.
              The snowmobile aftermarket is all over this. You can get intake boots for almost any old sled.
              I really need a quick fix as he has a race over in Alberta this weekend.
              Russ

Comment

Sikaflex is the stuff modern car windscreens are bonded in with, Polyeurethane Adhesive Sealant is the generic name for the product, it comes in a variety of curing speeds. It's also used to stick side panels on busses, roofs on hightop conversion vans, I used it to stick GRP wings on a car once, provided you clean the surfaces to be bonded it doesn't come off!
                If you ask windscreen replacement shops they will often sell you a tube, sometimes they'll give you half a tube if it's the end of the day as it doesn't store well once open,
                Regards,
                Nick

Comment

Sikaflex sounds like it might be a better fix but I've had pretty good luck repairing cracked motorcycle intake manifold boots with "Shoe Goo" or "Plumbers Goop", "Mechanics Goop" or any of the similarly named products which are all the same thing. It's very useful stuff for all kinds of repairs and I carry a tube during bike trips.

Comment

torker what about building a plate that is thick enough to machine then hand port the proper radius,and attach a four stroke type intake?we use this kind on yamaha banshee's.just a thought.

Comment

Bob.. I wasn't sure if Goop stood up to gas.
                      531.. Ya.. I could do that...if there was room and I had time. There's very little room inbetween the carb and airbox.
                      BTW nice looking boost bottle setup you got there... but does it actually work?
                      I messed with one on a TY175 quite a bit. used the boot off an RD350. Tried different bottle sizes etc but never really noticed a huge difference.
                      Russ
                      Last edited by torker; 04-17-2008, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Maybe these guys can help: http://www.intakehoses.com/

Comment

Thanks Steve! You see the problem with most of these intakes is they have an aluminum plate cast into them(or glued in.. however they do it????). The plate often has an "O" ring groove cut into it to seal the intake to the head or the reedcage.
                          See the ones that 531(funny name huh?) shows and imagine the rubber boot and the plate all in one unit.
                          Not real easy to make when there are several angles involved.
                          Russ

Comment

I'd love to have a rd350.. not seen one in years..

The one of older brothers would stand up at 45mph.. of course you'd have to drop quite a few gears and nail it. I was much lighter then.

I liked to have lost my license on it.
                            Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Sikaflex can be found at some lumber yards it's used in commercial glass and building caulkings. You could also try dow corning 795 I know this stuff sticks pretty good and stays flexible. If you want the 795 send me a pm as long as it can be mailed I'll send you a tube, I also might have some sika if your interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X