Clear All

Fuel?
    Had some friends in HMAS Westralia.
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Bottled stuff

Originally posted by J Tiers
      I understand gas has really gone up in Iran....... they pay almost 25 cents a gallon now......
      Originally posted by Evan
      Which is what it actually costs to pump, refine and deliver.
      I agree with both quotes - but all the complaining - here or anywhere else - isn't going to "fix" it to suit you either - so why bother?

As a reality check, have you checked the price of milk, soft drinks and (fer God's sake) "filtered" bottled water etc. lately on a "per gallon" and comparative basis.

Real expensive isn't it?

All that is from "in-country".

Why no complaints about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
        Per capita Bob, I reckon Oz pays the same price, if not higher.
        No doubt, and good point.

There are some people in the U.S. who consider recent wars to be surrogates for subsidized fuel by our government. I think that approach oversimplifies a complex calculation in order to support a particular position, but I think it is fair to include it as an element of the equation.

Comment

The new/old oil feild announced last week in ND,SD and Montana will probably fall right under a new national park once Hillabomma gets elected and it will be yet another domestic source of oil we have,but won't drill.200-500billion barrels right in our own backyard.Same is true of at least three feilds in the Gulf of Mexico,250-600billion barrels yet to be tapped that won't be tapped.

So far as alternative energy,show me some,I want to see it.It has to be a viable replacement to the existing technology and must meet four criteria-

#1 deliver the same energy density as fossil fuel
          #2 it must not cost more to implement than the net gain is worth
          #3 it must be more"green" after all given true costs are computed and not cause more pollution than it supposedly saves.
          #4 must not require a radical change in infrastructure.

I also believe that licensing for new nuclear plants should be forced through using imminent domain laws.Until we get serious again with harnessing the atom and end the ban on reprosessing so the fuel cycle can be completed.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

What really pisses me off is that the cost of insurance for my 398cc motor cycle has gone up 500 percent in the last 6 years. It used to cost about $100 for six months summer insurance and now it cost more to insure than my pickup. That means I won't be insuring it because I am not going to spend that much on insurance in order to save some on gas. I thought the idea was to stop using so much gasoline. So why make it uneconomic for me to do so?
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

My only fear is that it will increase the cost of steel too much, while decreasing the extras in peoples pocketbooks....and my business will grind to a hault.

Then I'll really be screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Farr
                No doubt, and good point.

There are some people in the U.S. who consider recent wars to be surrogates for subsidized fuel by our government. I think that approach oversimplifies a complex calculation in order to support a particular position, but I think it is fair to include it as an element of the equation.
                Possible,but so are the costs of doing nothing in response to jihad.The costs incurred from 9/11 are still being computed.If we had done nothing would we have been attacked again,and would investors and business had the confedence to rebuild and invest after another attack?

http://www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/si/aug02/homeland.asp

Comment

200-500billion barrels right in our own backyard
                  Better knock off a few decimal places on that. Estimates are 3 billion barrels and those aren't proven reserves. They are also very expensive barrels as they require the well to be drilled first vertical and then horizontal for miles which is a very expensive process.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

What really pisses me off is that the cost of insurance for my 398cc motor cycle has gone up 500 percent in the last 6 years. It used to cost about $100 for six months summer insurance and now it cost more to insure than my pickup. That means I won't be insuring it because I am not going to spend that much on insurance in order to save some on gas. I thought the idea was to stop using so much gasoline. So why make it uneconomic for me to do so?
                    You probably have the same situation there as we do here,government mandated insurance.Since the insurance companies have had a "captive" market rates have done nothing but go up.Meanwhile the promise of fewer uninsured drivers has not been delivered.

Comment

Better knock off a few decimal places on that. Estimates are 3 billion barrels and those aren't proven reserves. They are also very expensive barrels as they require the well to be drilled first vertical and then horizontal for miles which is a very expensive process.
                      No,the estimates you are refering to are NEW UNEXPLORED reserves,not the ones we have known were there since 1951.The production costs are estimated at $20-40 barrel,very well doable at todays prices.

The fields in the Gulf are in deep water,but still come in around $25-50 barrel.The technology now exists to go after it since we have gas wells currently in production at depths approaching 9,000 feet.

Edited to correct brain fart.
                      Last edited by wierdscience; 04-18-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by snowman
                        My only fear is that it will increase the cost of steel too much, while decreasing the extras in peoples pocketbooks....and my business will grind to a hault.

Then I'll really be screwed.
                        Our steel supplier told us yesterday to expect an increase of $400/ton come 4/22/08

Prepared scrap hit .149/lb last week,used to .04/lb was high,that was 3-4 years ago.

Comment

diesel/gas

We are already paying over $4 per gallon here. It's around $1.20 or so per litre.

Evan.
                          Here in Norway we pay 2.5 dollars pr. litre of diesel ¤%#@@@£$%%``\\@£$$$$$ and we are one of the worlds leading oil-producers

Comment

All indications are that gas/oil prices will not be decreasing; with the increasing demand seen in the developing world any foreseeable increase in supply (not likely according to those who believe that we're near peak oil production) will merely go to hold down the rate of increase.

If you're planning on buying a car, don't pick something fuelish. Live near where you work/go to school and pick a spot where you don't need to burn lots of oil to keep warm in the winter.

Energy is going to be more expensive, particularly liquid fuels. The increase in costs will drive a lot more attention to fuel efficiency for cars; I'd expect to have a lot more choices of vehicles that get over 40 mpg in two years than I do now.

The bright spot about this is that the increase in prices will allow more sustainable energy sources to compete with oil. Solar-thermal-electric (eg steam plants run by solar heat) is very practical - it's just not cost-effective when competing against oil at bargain basement prices.

- Bart
                            Bart Smaalders
                            http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

Evan:

The local rights organization ABATE, took my $8 a year tag I had been paying for 12 or so years and raised it through lobbiests in Georgia house to $32 a year. I quit my membership soon afterwards.. they are not working for my rights for sure.. they are considered a PARTY outfit, they all get together and drink and snort drugs off a mc mirror at the campfire, do nothing for peoples rights anymore.

They funded the computers and education on the tests. Made it harder to ride a motorcycle for the non-initiated. Even thou I had rode since 16 I sweated the test last year. I pulled up and a kid had a jap bike stood up on the front wheel (a accident). My dual disc roadking passed the test fine.

THE state considers a motorcycle a luxury. NOT a cheap method of transportation. OUR honda car gets better mileage than my Roadking. In that aspect they are right.
                              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by crancshafter
                                Here in Norway we pay 2.5 dollars pr. litre of diesel ¤%#@@@£$%%``\\@£$$$$$ and we are one of the worlds leading oil-producers
                                So is Canada. Everyone is paying the same for a barrel of crude, so the difference in gas prices is mostly how much your country is taxing it.

Last edited by lazlo; 04-18-2008, 10:31 AM.
                                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                                X