Snow day project fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow day project fun

I'd planned on doing a lot of yard work this weekend but with snow coming and going every other hour I decided to grab some time on the lathe and finish up the rachet knob for my Whipp shaper. The original was pretty banged up and rusty, and while salvageable it didn't have any two surfaces parallel or at right angles, so I decided to knock one out.

Here's the original:
    http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/mac...SC00816-r.html
    and here's the replacement:
    http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/mac...achet_knob.png

I also dressed up the repair on the casting blob in the first photo and still need to do a bit more before painting it. Those things take a beating when there's a table crash.

Hmmm - it's snowing again. Maybe I'll go turn a replacement tapered pin for it.

Nice job Dennis! Geez... you too?
    We had a trace of snow here. 5 miles up the road they got a foot.
    Was -3C for most of the day.
    Went out riding MX bikes today.. almost froze my butt off.
    What is with this crazy weather?
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I live about 5 miles from Dennis. Right now it is sunshine and "Spring Pretty". So far today we have had snow, rain, hail and sun. This is suburban Seattle, we should be planting our gardens not freezing our collective butts off. I did a "Dennis" and spent most of the day in the shop building/repairing tooling.

BTW Dennis do you need the #5 taper pin reamer?

Comment

You didn't happen to make a spare did you?

It was around -10C here this morning. This is stupid weather. Last year at this time I was banging in fence posts. I need to do some more but the fish pond still has ice in it so I bet the ground does too.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          You didn't happen to make a spare did you?

It was around -10C here this morning. This is stupid weather. Last year at this time I was banging in fence posts. I need to do some more but the fish pond still has ice in it so I bet the ground does too.

Wow! It was 75* F here today. Sounds like you could use a little more global warming up there

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside
            I live about 5 miles from Dennis. Right now it is sunshine and "Spring Pretty". So far today we have had snow, rain, hail and sun. This is suburban Seattle, we should be planting our gardens not freezing our collective butts off. I did a "Dennis" and spent most of the day in the shop building/repairing tooling.

BTW Dennis do you need the #5 taper pin reamer?
            I've decided I've got so many tapered pins and of various sizes that I really should buy a couple reamers and a box of pins. I thought the rachet knob was a straight through hole but it's tapered too.

Now where to find such things....

And thanks for the offer - If I can't locate one quickly I'll ping you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
              Wow! It was 75* F here today. Sounds like you could use a little more global warming up there
              Sure could. I went out earlier to buy a belt sander and it was really coming down fast - ice crystals, this time and really slippery. Checked the thermometer: 39F and cloudy. By the time I got out of Home Depot it was bright and sunny and 49F. I figgered it could happen again at any moment so I skipped out of doing the lawn moss mess and played with the new belt sander.

Comment

Tacoma Screw has singles of different sizes of taper pins. E.F, Bailey in Seattle should have the reamers as does MSC.

Comment

What?

Tacoma screw has singles? I thought it was a hardware outlet
                  The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Working...
                  X