New Shop Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Shop Ideas

I need more room again. Now i thought to build a free standing deck styled structure self supported and use it (the roof) as a Actuall Deck. Then once it settles buld walls and pour a concrete floor. Any tips for this type of building? I dont know much about construction ect. Tips would be greatly appreciated Thanx

workable idea, best is to go with a dual deck assembly, one as a regular deck and the lower as a roof to seal out the elements under it.

a roof as a deck can lead to serious leakage issues, or means using high cost specialty roofing made for the purpose. Building a lightly piched roof just under it allows you to use economical materials for sealing, and protect the weatherproofing from the harsher elements sunlight, wind, abrasion etc which is what normally degrades most roofs.

Did similar on my pole barn years ago, Had a small yard that was mostly taken up by the pole barn and the wife wanted a deck. I carried the poles through the roof and built a deck above it, accessed through a walkway and door built through a window in the unused upstairs bathroom. In my case the roof of the barn was 4:12, so I built diverters where the poles came through out of sheet metal to keep junk from building up on the posts.

Ken.

Comment

shop W/ deck over roof

madman,
      My shop is under a deck, I'll try to get some pics on this thread tommorow. I'm not sure of it's history, but it started out as a concrete bulkhead retaining wall about 4-1/2 feet tall that holds a severe drop in grade elevation. It's around 25 feet long with an aprox 8 foot wing that angles about 45 deg. from the main wall. At some point before I bought the place a concrete slab was poured and a lean to type metal roof was built on a 6 X 6 framework, over the slab, which was then used for covered storage, but having only a single stub wall up from the retaining wall. The 6 X 6s were extended verticaly up to support the deck above. After I got the place, I framed in the other 3 walls W/ windows and doors and voila! a shop. If it ever develops leaking issues, there's room to crawl out between the metal roof and the deck above to reach most of the area and do repairs.
      lwbates

Comment

shop/deck

madman,
        It's daylight now and i took a couple of pics of the shop/deck.

lwbates

Comment

LwBates,
          thank you for the pictures, one question.
          How do you clean the pine needles and other
          leaves that get up in between the deck and the
          roof below?

tnx
          Doug

Comment

That's what I said about using the diverters at the poles, normally used by chimneys

cricket a small pitched 'roof' on the high side of the chimney to divert water and debris around the chimney so it doesn't pile up. (from memory so any errors are mine and I won't share the credit!)

Or you can follow this link, see a picture and blame him for any errors!
            http://www.hometips.com/articles/hom...y_cricket.html

Ken.

edit:
            with the cricket you can use a hose and flush the roof, without the cricket things pack up on the poles etc. Long branches etc can still get stuck on it, so you'll have to reach up and shove it out of the way.
            Small lift out sections in the deck near the poles/bracing makes it easy to do from the deck.
            Last edited by kendall; 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Try a steel roof

If you use a steel roof or a rubber roof...) under the deck it is much easier to clean the junk off with just a hose. And it will last for a long time before you need to do any maint.

Comment

that likes kind of cool, great found space. Wouldn't want to be around on re-shingling day though

Comment

deck - shop roof

There is a galvanized pan available that is designed to have concrete pored on it. Just make the shop roof with the pan and pour a concrete deck on it.You may need an engineer to sign off the drawings before you can buy the pan.Peter
                  The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Not really related to the building, but more the trim work. Use slat wall instead of pegboard for your inside walls. Looks much nicer, holds more weight, too.

Comment

Peter.. did you mean Q decking? They just pour concrete over it. Depends on the size.. what re-enforcing you need under it/ in it.
                      The roof of my shop was built out of Q deck. No concrete over it but it's awful strong stuff. The fat gurl who used to work for me... I'd even consider letting her walk on this roof... well maybe after some beers. I'd need it to survive watchin her climb up a ladder
                      Russ
                      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I think the widest span you can do for Qdecking is just under 10 feet. Beyond that, you have to put an I beam.

HTRN
                        EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

cleaning

diggerdoug,
                          If you look behind the small bush in the left of the first picture, the dark area behind is the near end of a passage behind the rear wall, which goes down as far as the retaining wall and all the way across the shop. It provides access to the narrow end of the clearance at the high end of the roof. As you can see in the third pic, there is about 8 inches of vertcal access across there between the roof and deck. You can also see that it,s time to clean it out again this spring, thanks for the reminder. I just start at the narrow end with a water hose or pressure washer and sluice the junk down the roof till there's a little more clearance. Then I crawl in and do the rest.
                          lwbates

Comment

Working...
                          X