Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Probably because I converted arcs to polylines in order to trim certain parts since the design was done in the CAM program, not a CAD program.

Leave a comment:

• lvanduyn
    replied
    Wind Chimes gCode files

I looked at the gcode files. There is ten times as much code there as is needed to make those parts. There are basically straight lines with two arcs on the end of each chime. The hangar has three arcs with straight lines between. Multitiple places in the code have 12 or 13 G02s or G03s all in a row. What gives with that? What am I missing here???
    Larry

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Every Friday at 10:00 am in Boitanio Park across from Save-On Foods. They moved it from Courthouse Square as they are going to renovate that area I hear.

Leave a comment:

• jim davies
    replied
    >>Can you code a set up in Morris Minor ?

Once you get that one done, how about one in Gypsy Major?

More realistically, Evan if you have another lookin here, where/when are the farmer's markets scheduled?

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Don't feel too bad about breaking the tooling. The other day I was all set up to do some engraving with a brand new 1/16" solid carbide ball end mill. All I had to do was set the Z to zero. I started running it down to the work and at that instant my Australian Shepard decided to have an absolute barking spaz attack. It distracted me for a moment until the tip of the ball end mill whizzed past my face when it snapped off.

Glad to hear it worked out. You need to put a high speed spindle adapter on your project list.

Leave a comment:

• jacampb2
    replied
    I just wanted to say thanks Evan. I made the 4 chime set on Friday. It took me the better part of the afternoon. I had some trouble with my one singular .125" EM and broke it within 3 seconds of entering the work... I ended up cutting the whole thing out w/ a 3/32 ball end engraver for a dremel. Made 3 passes, broke 2 ball engravers. At long last I got it cut out, and my Wife loves it. I told our two year old that I was helping her make moms present, and she was excited about it as well. So, you have made me a hero in my house for a while. Thank you for the idea and the NC.

Thanks,
    Jason

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I'm not sure it would. It would probably sound a lot like a cash register...

Leave a comment:

• aostling
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    I am going to make a slightly modified version to use 1/4" thick aluminum. The more mass in the forks the longer they will ring.
    Bronze is the preferred metal for large cast bells. Would bronze make a nicer sounding wind chime too?

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I am going to make a slightly modified version to use 1/4" thick aluminum. The more mass in the forks the longer they will ring.

I was hoping you would notice this little project Bill. Thanks again for the spread sheet. It's very comprehensive.

Leave a comment:

• BigBoy1
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    I used the spread sheet supplied by William Cogger which saved me the trouble of calculating the chime lengths myself.

Glad to see that my efforst are being put to use. I like the idea of tuning forks and I think I'll have to look into making a set for myself!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Here is a three chime version guaranteed to harmonize.

It uses the notes D, G and B

http://www3.telus.net/metalshopborea...kit_68x164.txt

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I could easily redesign it to use only three chimes. That way no dissonance is possible. It also might help as you suggest to make sure the A and B are on opposite arms. I didn't check that.
    Last edited by Evan; 05-01-2008, 08:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• topct
    replied
    Thanks for the recording Evan. It really rings well. But if I could make just one suggestion, change the tuning. There are two notes there, that when heard together, cause them both to sound out of tune. Thats where I can hear a clanking sound rather than a clear tone. A common problem with wind chimes.

I'm not sure what scale would work best, but it needs to be such that when two or more notes are heard, they don't try to cancel one another. That's what happens when the A and B notes collide. Play them both at the same time on your keyboard.

Wait, I just got an idea. Maybe it could be as simple as just changing the position of the pieces?

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    That sounds pretty cool.. I like how you can here the "tuning fork" sound for some time after the hit.. JR

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I finally made a recording. The wow effect is because the chimes were swinging in front of the mic.

<1 meg, 1 minute, mp3
    http://www3.telus.net/metalshopborealis/chimes.mp3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X